Help Understanding Bushing Lubrication in Automotive Industry

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for greasing polyurethane bushings in the automotive industry every few years to prevent squeaking, while questioning whether rubber bushings also need to be greased. It is explained that rubber bushings are designed to run "dry" and do not require lubrication, with some vehicles even having original rubber bushings that have never been greased. The use of silicone grease is recommended for rubber bushings, as petroleum-based spray cans can deteriorate the rubber. It is advised to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for proper greasing, as some poly bushings now do not require later servicing if properly greased during installation.
YoshiMoshi
Hello Friends,

So I have seen that polyurethane bushings in the automotive industry are greased every few years or otherwise squeaking will occur. This got me thinking if Rubber bushings in the automotive industry ever need to be greased? I think they are designed to run "dry" and don't need lubrication? I have heard of vehicles that are two to three decades old that have original rubber bushings that have never been greased. But is there any benefit in greasing them?

I've read that silicone can be very beneficial to rubber. Silicone grease can come in either a spray can or grease cartridge form. I've read that petroleum in spray cans is bad for the rubber and can deteriorate it. So silicone grease in a cartridge should be used. Should you inject the grease into the rubber with a needle so it gets absorbed into the bushing, or just put it on the top of the bushing were it is exposed to the elements?

Engineering news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:
This got me thinking if Rubber bushings in the automotive industry ever need to be greased?
No, because:
https://www.suspension.com/blog/rubber-v-polyurethane-suspension-bushings/ said:
Rubber does not squeak since the bushing is chemically bonded to the metal shell and sleeve. The torque of suspension movement is soaked up by the bushing internally so the rubber does not move against the metal, and thus, no noise

YoshiMoshi said:
Should you inject the grease into the rubber with a needle so it gets absorbed into the bushing, or just put it on the top of the bushing were it is exposed to the elements?
You should follow what is recommended by the manufacturer. It is usually a matter of properly greasing them once, during the installation:
https://www.suspension.com/blog/rubber-v-polyurethane-suspension-bushings/ said:
Poly bushing design has advanced over the years and even now some manufacturers will guarantee that if their bushings are properly greased upon install later servicing will not be required. Using the right kind of grease for poly bushings is imperative since some grease does not have the same staying power as other options.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the purpose of bushing lubrication in the automotive industry?

Bushing lubrication is essential in the automotive industry as it helps to reduce friction between moving parts, preventing wear and tear and extending the lifespan of the components. It also helps to dissipate heat and reduce noise, ensuring smooth and efficient operation of the vehicle.

2. What types of lubricants are commonly used for bushings in the automotive industry?

The most commonly used lubricants for bushings in the automotive industry are grease and oil. Grease is a thick, viscous substance that provides long-lasting lubrication and is ideal for applications with high loads and low speeds. Oil, on the other hand, is a thinner lubricant that is better suited for high-speed applications.

3. How often should bushing lubrication be performed in a vehicle?

The frequency of bushing lubrication depends on several factors such as the type of lubricant used, the operating conditions of the vehicle, and the manufacturer's recommendations. In general, it is recommended to lubricate bushings every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or during regular maintenance intervals.

4. What are some common signs of inadequate bushing lubrication in a vehicle?

Some common signs of inadequate bushing lubrication in a vehicle include squeaking or grinding noises, excessive wear on the bushings, and increased friction between moving parts. These can lead to decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, and even potential damage to the vehicle.

5. Can bushing lubrication be done at home or should it be done by a professional?

Bushing lubrication can be done at home, but it is recommended to have it done by a professional mechanic or technician. They have the necessary knowledge and experience to properly lubricate the bushings and ensure that the correct type and amount of lubricant is used for optimal performance and longevity of the vehicle.