Help Understanding Circular Motion

In summary: They're all very good, but I especially recommend his "Physics For Scientists And Engineers" and "Principles Of Physics".In summary, Mike recommends using physicsforums.com for help with circular motion problems, and ZapperZ recommends hyperphysics.com for elementary help, and Ben Crowell's Physics For Scientists And Engineers and Principles of Physics for more in-depth explanations.
sharkshockey
Hi there,

New to the forums, but have been periodically browsing posts as a guest. Anyways, I'm having trouble understanding and solving circular motion problems, but not finding angular velocities and what not, more so with respect to Newton's laws (forces). Such problems like uniform and non-uniform circular motion.

Is there a website that I could be directed to to learn more about these types of problems or possible advice from one of the members?

I understand how circular motion problems work, but I don't get how to set them up. My professor said something of summing the forces in the Z-direction and in the radial direction. I want to have some basic understanding of what he was saying before seeing him.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this chapter on circular motion from a book at lightandmatter.com - free science ebooks:

http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/1np/ch09/ch09.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'm rather new to the forums as well. From what I've seen, almost everyone goes to wikipedia. Try there.

sharkshockey said:
Hi there,

New to the forums, but have been periodically browsing posts as a guest. Anyways, I'm having trouble understanding and solving circular motion problems, but not finding angular velocities and what not, more so with respect to Newton's laws (forces). Such problems like uniform and non-uniform circular motion.

Is there a website that I could be directed to to learn more about these types of problems or possible advice from one of the members?

I understand how circular motion problems work, but I don't get how to set them up. My professor said something of summing the forces in the Z-direction and in the radial direction. I want to have some basic understanding of what he was saying before seeing him.

At the elementary level, I would recommend using https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1665022" .

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second ZapperZ's endorsement of the hyperphysics site. It's professional and reliable; for elementary stuff, it's always my first choice as a reference.

But if you're looking for an alternative to your own textbook, I also recommend the "lightandmatter" site that mikelepore gave. Ben Crowell has written an excellent set of physics textbooks which he makes available for free.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object follows a circular path around a center point. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction.

2. What is the difference between linear and circular motion?

The main difference between linear and circular motion is the path that the object follows. In linear motion, the object moves in a straight line, while in circular motion, the object moves in a circular path around a center point.

3. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a force acting on an object that is directed towards the center of the circular path. This force is known as centripetal force and is required to keep the object moving in a circular path.

4. How is circular motion related to angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around a center point. In circular motion, angular velocity is directly proportional to the speed of the object and the radius of the circular path.

5. How can I calculate the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular path. Alternatively, the force can also be calculated using the formula Fc = mrω², where ω is the angular velocity.