Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Understanding Circular Motion

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    Hi there,

New to the forums, but have been periodically browsing posts as a guest. Anyways, I'm having trouble understanding and solving circular motion problems, but not finding angular velocities and what not, more so with respect to Newton's laws (forces). Such problems like uniform and non-uniform circular motion.

Is there a website that I could be directed to to learn more about these types of problems or possible advice from one of the members?

I understand how circular motion problems work, but I don't get how to set them up. My professor said something of summing the forces in the Z-direction and in the radial direction. I want to have some basic understanding of what he was saying before seeing him.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    Hey, i'm rather new to the forums as well. From what i've seen, almost everyone goes to wikipedia. Try there.

5. Mar 29, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

At the elementary level, I would recommend using Hyperphysics website. It is reputable, and not a pastiche of information and authors that is Wikipedia. For your particular question, check out all the info on circular motion.

Zz.

6. Mar 29, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I second ZapperZ's endorsement of the hyperphysics site. It's professional and reliable; for elementary stuff, it's always my first choice as a reference.

But if you're looking for an alternative to your own textbook, I also recommend the "lightandmatter" site that mikelepore gave. Ben Crowell has written an excellent set of physics textbooks which he makes available for free.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?