Help understanding dynamic equilibrium

In summary, the equilibrium rule states that if there is no external force acting on an object, then the object will stay in the same position. However, if an object is already moving, then it requires a force to change its motion.
urbano

Homework Statement

if the equilibrium rule states ƩF=0N, how can something move or be moving at a constant speed ? eg I push on a box with 50N and friction provides 50N back, resulting in ƩF=0N. So I am not providing more N than the box is resisting with. I thought something could only be moved if the moving force was greater than the resisting force ? otherwise wouldn't it be a stand still ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

****update*****

just had thought...I'd only need more force than the friction provided to get the box moving, but once moving and if at a constant speed then its motion is unchanged, thus the zero net force ?? And this then becomes the first law as now it is moving it will remain moving until an unbalanced force acts upon it ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's first law. If the ƩF=0N, no change in motion occurs.

What if the box is sliding on the table by itself and there's no friction?

aftershock said:

If there's no friction, what's the net force acting?

gneill said:
If there's no friction, what's the net force acting?

That was directed at the OP, in hopes of him being able to figure out the answer to his question.

aftershock said:
That was directed at the OP, in hopes of him being able to figure out the answer to his question.

Ah. Sorry for pouncing then :blushing:

aftershock said:
hmmm I don't quite get what would make the box slide ? If ƩF=0 and there's no friction my guess would be there is no force...but then I don't get how the box would be sliding with no force on it

urbano said:
hmmm I don't quite get what would make the box slide ? If ƩF=0 and there's no friction my guess would be there is no force...but then I don't get how the box would be sliding with no force on it

What if it were already sliding?

Motion does not require a force. Only a change in motion requires a force.

This is an essential difference between Aristotelian physics and Newtonian physics :wink:

What is dynamic equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium is a state in which the rate of a forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentration of reactants and products over time.

What factors affect dynamic equilibrium?

The factors that affect dynamic equilibrium include temperature, concentration of reactants and products, and pressure (for gaseous reactions).

How is dynamic equilibrium represented in a chemical equation?

In a chemical equation, dynamic equilibrium is represented by a double arrow (⇌) between the reactants and products. This indicates that the reaction is reversible and can reach a state of dynamic equilibrium.

How do you calculate the equilibrium constant for a reaction?

The equilibrium constant, K, is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of products to the concentrations of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. K = [products] / [reactants]

Why is understanding dynamic equilibrium important in chemistry?

Understanding dynamic equilibrium is important in chemistry because it allows us to predict the direction of a reaction and the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. It also helps us to optimize reaction conditions for desired outcomes in various industrial processes.