Help understanding Torque Solution

• Thread starter NoobeAtPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the forces in each member of a truss and determining if the members are in tension or compression. The use of trigonometry (soh-cah-toa) is discussed to determine the x and y components of the forces. The direction of the forces is also discussed in relation to force balancing. The conversation ends with a question about the direction of one of the forces.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

Determine the force in each member of the truss, and state if the members are in tension or compression.

2h58n6p.png

Homework Equations

T=rf

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to understand why they used sin for the x component of Joint D and cos for the y component of Joint D. I don't really understand when to use cos and when to use sin.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mnemonic I was taught was sOH-cAH-tOa

sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse
cos(x) = adjacent/hypotenuse
tan(x) = opposite/adjacent

(of course, you could simply derive the tOA from the sOHcAH)

Anyway, never believe in a universal "x" or "y" component when it comes to geometry. always base it off the angle in question and what's opposite or adjacent to it (or the hypotenuse).

Thanks for the response

Hmm, I understand soh-cah-toa but I'm looking at Joint D and I just don't really understand.

If I use soh-cah-toa on joint D, then does sin(26.57) = 1/FDc?

since the angle is from the top corner (I assume), then the opposite side is the x component and the hypotenuse is of course, FDC and that's what the book has.

Ok, I understand that the opposite of the triangle would be Fec (x component) and hypotenuse if Fdc but we use sin because Fdc is the hypotenuse? I'm a bit confused.

Yes Fec is equal to 0, so I don't really get how that decides when to use sin and cos

Last edited:
there is no Fec... I think you're confusing real space with vector space. We're looking at the components on the top of the scaffolding only. The length of Fec has nothing to do with it.

I think I understand now! ( i think)

on a quick side note, would you know why Fde is pointing downward in the free body diagram for Joint D? Also is there a reason why Fdc is pointing up?

ad1bp4.png

I thought all joints were assumed to be in tension unless they are negative

Last edited:
the forces must sum to zero since it's not moving. Since the 600 are pushing from the left, the Fdc must counter it with a force from the right... and the arrow can't point down and right, so it must point left and right (given it's orientation). The only way to balance the resulting up force is by having Fde pull down.

I don't understand you here:

'and the arrow can't point down and right, so it must point left and right (given it's orientation). The only way to balance the resulting up force is by having Fde pull down.'

I know that the Fdc should counteract the 600N but what does that have to do with Fde?

At that joint, Fec is the only force up and Fde is the only force down. That's all they have to do with each other (through force balancing).

But it's all set in motion by the fact that 600 N are coming from the right, a horizontal force which must be countered by the horizontal component of Fdc, whose vertical component, then, must be countered by Fde. All in the name of force balance.

If Fec is negative then

Fde should theoretically be positive to counteract the y force?edit:
Oh right!

wait still, if Fde must be positive to counteract the y force, why is it pointing downwards?

who said Fde must be up?

1. What is Torque Solution?

Torque Solution is a company that specializes in aftermarket performance parts for vehicles. They offer a variety of products such as engine mounts, shifter bushings, and exhaust systems to improve the overall performance of a car.

2. How does Torque Solution improve vehicle performance?

Torque Solution's products are designed to enhance the power, handling, and overall driving experience of a vehicle. By reducing engine movement, improving gear shifting, and increasing airflow, Torque Solution helps to optimize the performance of a car.

3. Are Torque Solution products compatible with all vehicles?

Torque Solution offers products for a wide range of vehicles including popular brands such as Subaru, Honda, and BMW. However, it is important to check the compatibility of a specific product with your vehicle before making a purchase.

4. Can Torque Solution products be installed by anyone?

While some Torque Solution products can be easily installed by car enthusiasts, others may require professional installation. It is important to carefully read the installation instructions and consider your own mechanical abilities before attempting to install a product.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using Torque Solution products?

As with any aftermarket modifications, there is always a risk of potential damage to your vehicle if the products are not installed or used correctly. It is important to carefully follow the installation instructions and consult a professional if you are unsure. Additionally, some Torque Solution products may affect the warranty of your vehicle, so it is important to check with your manufacturer before making any modifications.