Help understanding metric units

In summary: Therefore, the fractional part is still in meters. In summary, the conversation discusses questions about interpreting numbers in meters and clarifying whether the fractional part is still in meters or in centimeters. The expert confirms that the fractional part is still in meters and explains the concept using examples and a diagram. They also provide a PDF document for further understanding.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

Firstly this is not a homework question. I just found myself wondering what certain numbers meant while at work and realized that i didnt actually know hence the posting.

I was hoping someone could help explain & confirm a couple of things about units.

1) Given the number 4.172 meters
I interpret this number at 4 whole meters
And the 0.172 part I interpret as a portion of a whole meter
My first question is this; is 0.172 (the fractional part) still in meters or is this in cm?

2) Assuming that 0.172 is in meter then to understand the 0.172m a little better I have done the following:-

1 ● 1 / 10 1 / 100 1 / 1000
0 ● 1 7 2

I have re-writtern this fractional part as 172/1000

My understanding at this point is that the denomniator (1000) represents my whole meter and the numerator represents the portion of the whole meter
Is this correct?

Attached is a PDF document where i have tried to understand more about units which i was hoping someone could look at.

Attachments

• Unit question.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 313
Mathematics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
1) Given the number 4.172 meters
I interpret this number at 4 whole meters
And the 0.172 part I interpret as a portion of a whole meter
My first question is this; is 0.172 (the fractional part) still in meters or is this in cm?
If I give you 1/2=0.5 apples, I give you 1/2 of an apple and not 1/2 of [something else].
If I give you 3.5 apples, I give you 3 apples and 1/2 apple and not 3 apples and 1/2 of [something else].

2) Assuming that 0.172 is in meter then to understand the 0.172m a little better I have done the following:-

1 ● 1 / 10 1 / 100 1 / 1000
0 ● 1 7 2

I have re-writtern this fractional part as 172/1000

My understanding at this point is that the denomniator (1000) represents my whole meter and the numerator represents the portion of the whole meter
Is this correct?
It is correct, and you can get the same just with rewriting the numeric value:
3.172 meters = (3172/1000) meters = (3 + ##\frac{172}{1000}##) meters

Likes 1 person

What are the basic metric units?

The basic metric units are meter (length), gram (mass), and liter (volume). These units are used to measure different physical quantities.

What is the difference between the metric system and the imperial system?

The metric system is a decimal-based system of measurement that is used internationally. It is based on units of 10, making conversions between units easier. The imperial system, on the other hand, is a system of measurement primarily used in the United States and is based on units such as inches, feet, and pounds.

How do I convert from one metric unit to another?

To convert from one metric unit to another, you need to use a conversion factor. This is a number that relates the two units and allows you to convert from one to the other. For example, to convert from meters to centimeters, you would multiply the number of meters by 100.

Why is the metric system considered more efficient than the imperial system?

The metric system is considered more efficient because it is based on units of 10, making conversions between units easier. It also allows for more precise measurements and is used internationally, making it easier for scientists and researchers to communicate and compare data.

What is the importance of understanding metric units in scientific research?

Understanding metric units is essential in scientific research as it allows for accurate and precise measurements. This is crucial in conducting experiments, collecting data, and communicating results. It also allows for easy comparisons between different studies and promotes international collaboration in the scientific community.