Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding x,y,z equations

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    I have a point at 0,0,0(the origin).

And I have an object that will move around that point.
    The following data is given for that object:
    r = 5
    theta=4
    phi=6

phi is the angle that is between y and z.
    theta is(probably) between y and z.

To find the object coordinates(x,y,z),the following equations are given:

y = r * cos(phi)
    x = r * sin(phi) * sin(theta)
    z = -r * sin(phi) * cos (theta)

we use -r on z because theta is measured counterclockwise from -z.

As you can see the equations above make an object stay at some certain coordinates away from the origin. Everything is solved,the only problem is that I don't understand it.
    I understand how we get y,but the x and z are sci fi for me,I mean why does x use sin on both phi and theta and z uses sin and cos?

Take it easy on me,I suck at math,and in the last 3 days I've been trying to understand those equations.If you know why everything is like that,please explain with as many details as you can,so I can finally understand and sleep...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2
    [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the object's position and the y-axis. We decompose the position vector into a part parallel to the y-axis and a part perpendicular, which must then lie in the zx-plane.

Considering just that last part--the part of the position vector that lies in the zx-plane--and find the angle that makes with the -z-axis. This is the angle [itex]\theta[/itex].

Everything in this procedure is just about drawing right triangles, see?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook