Help - Verify the Jacobi Identity (Arfken)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to verify the Jacobi Identity using matrices and the use of the commutator notation. The individual asking for help is unsure of how to set up the problem and expand it, but eventually arrives at the correct solution. They also mention that they sometimes lack confidence in solving these types of problems.
Fjolvar
Hello, I'm unfamiliar with the notation used in this problem with the commas. I understand matricies, identities, etc. but not sure about the commas..

Question 3.2.9: Verify the Jacobi Identity: [A,[B,C]] = [B,[A,C]] - [C,[A,B]]

I see the BAC CAB rule here, but not sure how to show it. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    319.7 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
The square brackets denote the commutator: [A,B] = AB-BA.

Any suggestions on setting this problem up to prove it? Just make 2x2 matricies with a1,a2,a3,a4 b1,b2,b3,b4.. etc? I haven't a clue.

Just expand both sides and show you end up with the same terms.

I know this should be easier than I'm making it. I tried to expand these in many ways but couldn't get it to work out. Since AB does not equal BA for example since we're dealing with matrices, I don't know how to prove this algebraically.. How do I expand this?

Post what you tried so we can see what you're doing.

Ok I attached what I have so far. In the first attempt I tried expanding everything out with matrices and then realized I actually left out a step in each part which would make things very messy so I thought there had to be an easier way, and in the second attempt I tried without using matrices but stopped because I'm not sure how to distribute since AB does not equal BA..

Attachments

• Attempt 1 (1).pdf
    704.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Attempt 1 (2).pdf
    697 KB · Views: 387
  • Attempt 2.pdf
    539.4 KB · Views: 399
Your final attempt is the way to go. All you have to do is finish off the righthand side.

You found, with sign corrections, that

[B,[A,C]]=BAC-BCA-ACB+CAB
[C,[A,B]]=CAB-CBA-ABC+BAC

so

[B,[A,C]]-[C,[A,B]] = (BAC-BCA-ACB+CAB)-(CAB-CBA-ABC+BAC)

Now just simplify it as some of the terms cancel, and you'll be left with what you have for (1).

Sometimes I think I just need more confidence in doing these problems. Thank you very much!

What is the Jacobi Identity?

The Jacobi Identity is a fundamental concept in mathematics, specifically in the field of algebra. It states that the commutator of three elements must satisfy a specific relation in order for it to be considered a Lie algebra. This relation is commonly written as [a,[b,c]] + [b,[c,a]] + [c,[a,b]] = 0.

Why is it important to verify the Jacobi Identity?

The Jacobi Identity is important because it is a necessary condition for a set of elements to form a Lie algebra. Lie algebras have many applications in mathematics and physics, so verifying the Jacobi Identity is crucial in order to ensure the validity of any calculations or theories involving Lie algebras.

How do you verify the Jacobi Identity?

To verify the Jacobi Identity, you need to perform the commutator operation on three elements and see if it satisfies the relation [a,[b,c]] + [b,[c,a]] + [c,[a,b]] = 0. If the result is not equal to 0, then the elements do not form a Lie algebra and the Jacobi Identity is not satisfied.

What happens if the Jacobi Identity is not satisfied?

If the Jacobi Identity is not satisfied, then the elements do not form a Lie algebra. This means that the set of elements cannot be used in the same way as a Lie algebra, and any calculations or theories involving them may not be valid.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks to verifying the Jacobi Identity?

There are no shortcuts or tricks to verifying the Jacobi Identity. It is a straightforward process of performing the commutator operation and checking if it satisfies the relation. However, if you are familiar with the properties of the elements involved, you may be able to simplify the calculation and make it easier to verify the Jacobi Identity.