1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with 3 objects/masses connected by string over frictionless pulley?

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three masses connected by light strings are shown in the figure below (I will try my best in describing the figure):
    There is light, frictionless pulley with two masses, M2 and M3, on the left and one mass, M1, on the right. They are all connected by light strings. Given m1 = 10 kg, m2 = 7.48 kg, m3 = 8.01 kg, and g = 9.8 m/s2. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . Find the downward acceleration of m2 mass. answer in units of m/s^2

2. Relevant equations
    SigmaF= ma
    mg=fg

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew three separate free body diagrams for each of the masses.
    For M1:
    Ft-MG=MA
    Ft-98=10a

For M2:
    MG-Ft=MA
    7.48(9.8)-Ft=7.48a
    73.304-Ft=7.48a

So I combined the two equations and got -1.413 m/s^2. I though because it is downward, I didn't need the negative, so I put in UT, 1.413, it was wrong, I also put -1.413, it was also wrong. Then I tried using M3 and combined the acceleration of M3 and M2, which was 8.387, which is also wrong. Then I read on another thread that you can use the equation:
    A= [(M1-M2)/(M1+M2)] * G. I got 1.413. I honestly don't know what to do at this point, can somebody please help me. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2
    Anybody? Please?

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    If you could post the diagram that would help a lot so we would know where to start...

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4
    Diagram posted. It is on the last page, number 018 (part 1of 3).

Attached Files:

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5
    Please can anybody help? I even posted the diagram.

7. Oct 4, 2009 #6
    Nevermind, figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook