Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a few questions about spivak calculus

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    Question
    if a < b, then -b < -a

proof
    if a < b then a-b<0 and b-a>0
    so a-b<0<b-a
    so -b<-a

Question
    if a<b & c<0, then ab>bc

proof
    if ac<ab then ab>bc
    then ac<ab>bc
    then ac>bc

Question
    if a>1 then a^2>a

proof
    a*a > 1*a
    lemma 1: a*a = a^2
    (a*a)*a^-1 = a^2 * a^-1
    a*(a*a^-1) = a
    a * 1 = a
    a = a
    so a*a>1*a
    a^2>a

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2
    in the first proof,

when you go from [itex]a-b<0[/itex] to [itex]b-a>0[/itex] , you have to do this first

[tex]a-b<0 \Rightarrow \; -(b-a)<0 \;[/tex]

but to go from here to [itex]b-a>0[/itex], you have to assume the thing which you set out to prove.

in the last proof, when you go from [itex]\; a>1\;[/itex] to [itex]a*a > 1*a[/itex], you are
    assuming that [itex]1>0[/itex]. have you proved it before ?

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Thank you for replying and helping me out
    I have not proven 1 greater than 0 before
    but can you give me a pointer on how to prove that or another way of doing this proof

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4
    order axioms say that between two real numbers a and b , three relations are possible.
    a>b or a=b or a<b. this is called property of trichotomy. to prove 1>0, you assume negation, assume [itex]1\ngtr 0 [/itex]. since one of the three possibilities between 1 and 0 is true and we have assumed [itex]1\ngtr 0 [/itex] , it must be true that
    [itex]1=0\;\mbox{or}\;1<0[/itex] . since the field axioms explicitly say that
    [itex]1\neq 0[/itex] , it must be true that [itex]1<0 [/itex] now work with axioms to find a contradiction.........

are you studying analysis on your own or you are taking class ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook