Help with a volume expansion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 3.00-liter aluminum cylinder filled with gasoline at 5.00°C and then warmed to 53.0°C. The question is how much gasoline will spill out due to the expansion of the container. The conversation provides the coefficients of linear and volume expansion for aluminum and gasoline, as well as the volume expansion formula. The attempted solution involves calculating the volume expansion for each variable and subtracting them, but the answer obtained is incorrect. A request for help is made at the end of the conversation.
KTANNE

Homework Statement

A 3.00-liter aluminum cylinder at 5.00°C is filled to the brim with gasoline at the same temperature. If the aluminum and gasoline are warmed to 53.0°C, how much gasoline spills out? [Hint: Be sure to account for the expansion of the container. Also, ignore the possibility of evaporation, and assume the volume coefficients are good to three digits.

Homework Equations

Coeff of Linear Expansion for Al : 24 X 10^-6
Coeff of Volume Expansion for gasoline: 9.6 X 10 ^-4
Volume Expansion Formula: ΔV = βVoΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the volume expansion formula for each variable and came up this:
aluminum = (24 X 10^-6)(3.00L)(53.0 - 5.00)°C = .003456
gasoline = (9.6 X 10^-4)(3.00L)(53.0 - 5.00)°C = .13824

I then subtracted (.13824) - (.003456) = .134784 = .135
And this is the incorrect answer... The correct answer is 128 cm^3 so I don't know what I am doing incorrectly...

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out - NM

how did you solve this problem?

jk27, please stand by, I or somebody will post some help in your thread.

p.s. Welcome to PF to both of you.

I would like to commend you for taking the time to work on this problem and seeking help when needed. It shows that you are dedicated to understanding and mastering the material.

Now, let's take a closer look at the problem and your attempt at a solution. From the given information, we can see that there are two main factors that contribute to the volume expansion: the expansion of the aluminum cylinder and the expansion of the gasoline.

First, let's calculate the volume expansion of the aluminum cylinder. Using the given coefficient of linear expansion for aluminum (24 x 10^-6), we can calculate the change in length of the cylinder as:

ΔL = (24 x 10^-6)(3.00L)(53.0 - 5.00)°C = 0.003456 m

Since the cylinder is a cylinder, we can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder to calculate the change in volume:

ΔV = πr^2ΔL = 3.14(0.1525)^2(0.003456) = 0.000265 m^3

Next, let's calculate the volume expansion of the gasoline. Using the given coefficient of volume expansion for gasoline (9.6 x 10^-4), we can calculate the change in volume of the gasoline as:

ΔV = (9.6 x 10^-4)(3.00L)(53.0 - 5.00)°C = 0.1296 m^3

Now, we need to take into account the expansion of the container. Since the container is a cylinder, we can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder to calculate the change in volume:

ΔV = πr^2ΔL = 3.14(0.1525)^2(0.003456) = 0.000265 m^3

Adding the volume expansions of the aluminum cylinder, the gasoline, and the container, we get a total volume expansion of:

ΔVtotal = 0.000265 + 0.1296 + 0.000265 = 0.13013 m^3

Finally, we need to convert this volume to the desired unit of cm^3. Since 1 m^3 = 1,000,000 cm^3, we can multiply our total volume expansion by

1. What is volume expansion?

Volume expansion is the increase in volume of a substance when its temperature is increased. This is due to the particles of the substance gaining more kinetic energy and moving further apart, causing the substance to expand.

2. How do I calculate volume expansion?

Volume expansion can be calculated using the equation: ∆V = V₀α∆T, where ∆V is the change in volume, V₀ is the initial volume, α is the coefficient of volume expansion, and ∆T is the change in temperature.

3. What is the coefficient of volume expansion?

The coefficient of volume expansion, denoted by α, is a constant that represents the change in volume of a substance for a one degree change in temperature. It is different for each substance and is typically measured in units of 1/°C or 1/K.

4. How does volume expansion affect objects?

Volume expansion can cause objects to expand or contract depending on their material and the change in temperature. This can lead to changes in dimensions, pressure, and density of the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of volume expansion?

Volume expansion has many practical applications, such as in thermometers, thermostats, and bimetallic strips. It is also important to consider in construction and engineering, as changes in temperature can affect the integrity of structures and materials.