Help with Allegro-Altium PCB conversion

• Thread starter Rive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb
In summary, Tom is trying to import a design into Altium but is having problems because of high voltage clearance design rules. He suggests trying to import an existing design instead.
Rive
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
I have an Allegro .brd file as design reference, but I need something Altium-compatible instead
I have an Allegro .brd file as design reference, but I need something Altium-compatible instead. Altium can import .brd only in case there is Allegro installed on the same PC, what I don't have.

Is there anybody who can help me with this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, I'll check.
Usually this kind of 'viewer' does not allow conversion or save, though...

Thanks.

Tried it both way, and Altium likely finds the required file since the import starts, but then Altium throws an error.

I'll try to get a PC with a clean install or with a different version...

I've reverse engineered boards from the CAM tool that's built into Altium. Do you have Gerber or ODB++ for it? I cannot remember if it works with .brd

I know it has a warning for being outdated, but I also know I have done this on later version of Altium than it has claimed. The images are outdated, but the procedures are the same: https://techdocs.altium.com/display/ADOH/CAM+Editor+Reverse+Engineering+PCBs

Something that stops a lot of people while doing it is they forget to assign all the layers ie. Top Layer, Bottom layer, Internal Layer... default from Import is Temporary and when you try to extract nets for it... you'll see it load, but nothing seems to happens.

Joshy said:
I've reverse engineered boards from the CAM tool that's built into Altium. Do you have Gerber or ODB++ for it? I cannot remember if it works with .brd
It does not work, but actually the problem is not like that (not about reverse engineering). The 'thing' is a well documented reference design, so I have the item in my hands, the complete BOM, the schematics and even a screenshot ( :doh: ) about the PCB design (embedded in a protected PDF document, so I could make a screenshot only :doh::doh:).
The main problem is, that we have some persistent and annoying problems with high voltage clearance design rules in the Altium version we have, so I just do not trust it. I would prefer to import an existing design instead of re-doing it manually.
Seems like it was a futile attempt. This software just hates me😝

Last edited:
If you could get Gerber or ODB++ then you could reverse engineer it into an editable Altium file and make the changes you want; furthermore if you can export ipc nets then you won’t have funky default net names.

What is Allegro-Altium PCB conversion?

Allegro-Altium PCB conversion is the process of converting a printed circuit board (PCB) design from one software platform to another. In this case, it involves converting a PCB design from Allegro to Altium, or vice versa.

Why would someone need help with Allegro-Altium PCB conversion?

There are a few reasons why someone might need help with Allegro-Altium PCB conversion. One reason is that they may have an existing design in one software platform and want to switch to the other. Another reason is that they may be collaborating with others who use a different software platform. Additionally, some features and capabilities may differ between the two platforms, and someone may need help optimizing their design for the new platform.

What are the main challenges of Allegro-Altium PCB conversion?

The main challenges of Allegro-Altium PCB conversion include differences in design rules and constraints, component libraries, and file formats. These differences can cause errors or discrepancies in the converted design, which may require manual adjustments and troubleshooting.

What are some tips for a successful Allegro-Altium PCB conversion?

Some tips for a successful Allegro-Altium PCB conversion include thoroughly reviewing and understanding the design rules and constraints of both platforms, ensuring that all components and footprints are accurately imported or recreated in the new platform, and performing thorough testing and validation of the converted design before fabrication.

Are there any tools or resources available for Allegro-Altium PCB conversion?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available for Allegro-Altium PCB conversion. Some software platforms offer built-in conversion tools or plugins, and there are also third-party conversion services and consultants who specialize in this type of conversion. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where users can seek advice and support for their conversion process.