Help with basic problem of kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object being thrown from a height and the determination of the law that describes how the velocity of the object changes. The problem also involves the force of air resistance and a first-order differential equation that can be solved using an integrating factor. The equation is then verified by plugging in the solution and determining the constant value. The conversation also touches on the history of differential equations and their use in solving physics problems.
sleepwalker27
Well, the problem says:
From some height a object with mass m is thrown . Determinate the law that describes how the velocity of fall v changes, if on the object, besides gravity, acts the force air resistance, which is proportional to velocity v (the proportionality coefficient is k), ie must be found v= f(t)

Then, by the second Newton's law, we have.
$$m\cdot\frac{dv}{dt}=mg-kv$$

AND THEN, HERE'S WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND. My textbook says:

Is easy to proof that every function:

$$v=Ce^{-\frac{k}{m}t}+\frac{mg}{k}$$

Satisfies the first equation.

Can somebody explain me in detail, why is that true? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think i asked de wrong question, the correct is: How the autor of the book came to that equation?

It is just a first order differential equation that can be solved by multiplying both sides of the equation by an integrating factor ##U(t)##. Look it up. If you need more help let us know.
If you want to check (or proof) that it works, then just plug the solution ##v## into the differential equation.
The constant ##C## can be determine by providing the required initial conditions.

Edited: fixed a mistake regarding the method of solving the equation

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
There's some history in the wiki article and while it doesn't directly answer your question may be helpful in finding the answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_equation

I know when I first took this course it was like magic. I too wondered how these were discovered but alas it was never really discussed instead we were given recipes to identify the types of DEs and knowing that follow a few simple steps to gain the set of solutions.

Anyway from the article you can see how mathematicians like d'Alembert, Bernoulli, Lagrange and Euler took the codified knowledge of Calculus and extended to solve many common DE problems needed in physics.

$$m\cdot\frac{dv}{dt}=mg-kv$$
Is a differential equation, if you solve it you get that function v (t)

Attachments

• 20160704_003551-1.jpg
    20160704_003551-1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 401
Thank you all for your responses and your time, you helped me a lot.. I understood the problem

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of their motion. It involves describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What are the basic principles of kinematics?

The basic principles of kinematics are displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement is the change in an object's position, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

3. How do I solve kinematics problems?

To solve kinematics problems, you need to first identify the given information, such as the initial and final positions, time, and acceleration. Then, use the appropriate kinematics equations to solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are the common units used in kinematics?

The common units used in kinematics are meters (m) for displacement, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration.

5. How does kinematics relate to other branches of physics?

Kinematics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as dynamics and mechanics. It provides the foundation for understanding and studying more complex concepts, such as forces and energy. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics.