Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation/rational function

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1

nos

Hi all,

Three forces are acting on an object.
    Gravity, mg
    Lorentz force, av(a is a constant)
    Air resistance, kv^2( k is a constant)
    v is the velocity of the object

I figured that this differential equation must be the right one:

M(total)[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]= mg-av-kv^2

Where m and M(total) are different masses

[itex]\frac{dv}{kv^2+av-mg}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{dt}{M(total)}[/itex]

Integrate both sides:

-[itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex] artanh([itex]\frac{2kv+a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex]) = -[itex]\frac{T}{M(total)}[/itex] + C

So I want to find the expression for velocity v.
    How do I begin? And should the integration constant even be there? When I put limits on the integral(v goes from 0 to v and t goes from 0 to t) then there is no constant of integration.
    Thanks so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

nos

I'm actually starting to think that maybe the whole anti-derivative is wrong.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

nos

So I figured using the limits on the integral gives me:

arctanh([itex]\frac{2kv+a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex])-arctanh([itex]\frac{0+a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}{2M(total)}T[/itex]

Taking the second term arctanh tot the other side and taking the tanh of both sides:

2kv+a = [itex]\sqrt{a^ 2+4kmg}[/itex] tanh([itex]\frac{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}{2M(total)}T[/itex]
    +arctanh([itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex]))

which will finally give v in terms of t:

v(t) = [itex]\frac{-a}{2k}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a^ 2+4kmg}[/itex] tanh([itex]\frac{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}{2M(total)}T[/itex]
    +arctanh([itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex]))/2k

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook