Differential equation/rational function

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on an object, including gravity, Lorentz force, and air resistance. The differential equation for these forces is given and the integration process to find the expression for velocity is discussed. The final expression for velocity in terms of time is also provided.
nos
Hi all,

Three forces are acting on an object.
Gravity, mg
Lorentz force, av(a is a constant)
Air resistance, kv^2( k is a constant)
v is the velocity of the object

I figured that this differential equation must be the right one:

M(total)[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]= mg-av-kv^2

Where m and M(total) are different masses

[itex]\frac{dv}{kv^2+av-mg}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{dt}{M(total)}[/itex]

Integrate both sides:

-[itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex] artanh([itex]\frac{2kv+a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex]) = -[itex]\frac{T}{M(total)}[/itex] + C

So I want to find the expression for velocity v.
How do I begin? And should the integration constant even be there? When I put limits on the integral(v goes from 0 to v and t goes from 0 to t) then there is no constant of integration.
Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm actually starting to think that maybe the whole anti-derivative is wrong.

So I figured using the limits on the integral gives me:

arctanh([itex]\frac{2kv+a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex])-arctanh([itex]\frac{0+a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}{2M(total)}T[/itex]

Taking the second term arctanh tot the other side and taking the tanh of both sides:

2kv+a = [itex]\sqrt{a^ 2+4kmg}[/itex] tanh([itex]\frac{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}{2M(total)}T[/itex]
+arctanh([itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex]))

which will finally give v in terms of t:

v(t) = [itex]\frac{-a}{2k}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a^ 2+4kmg}[/itex] tanh([itex]\frac{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}{2M(total)}T[/itex]
+arctanh([itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+4kmg}}[/itex]))/2k

FAQ: Differential equation/rational function

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is an important tool in mathematics and science.

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be written as the ratio of two polynomials. It is a type of algebraic function and is commonly used to model relationships between variables in mathematics and science.

What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as the motion of objects, population growth, and chemical reactions.

How do you solve a differential equation?

There is no one set method for solving a differential equation as it depends on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using specific formulas for different types of equations.

What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are commonly used to model one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for multi-dimensional systems.