Help with box on sled slope problem

• Thread starter mourat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Slope
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sled pulling a box up a snowy hill. The question is about determining the tension at which the box will slip, given the coefficients of friction between the different surfaces. The person has attempted the problem multiple times and initially got an answer of 188 N, but the correct answer is 155 N. They eventually figure out the correct solution on their own.
mourat
Help with box on sled slope problem!

I've attempted this question and have re done the question about 3 times, getting the same answer.

A rope attached to a 20kg wood sled pulls the sled up a 20 degree snow covered hill. A 10kg wood box rides on top of the sled. If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does the box slip?
coefficient of static friction between 2 wooden boxes=0.5
coefficient of kinetic friction between sled and snow=0.06

Resolving forces, I seem to keep on ending up with 188 N, but the answer is 155 N.

Physics news on Phys.org

It's ok, I figured it out, always happens, 2 minutes after I post, the answer comes to me lol.

What is the box on sled slope problem?

The box on sled slope problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a sled as it moves down a slope with a box on top of it.

What are the key concepts involved in solving this problem?

The key concepts involved in solving this problem are Newton's laws of motion, friction, and the forces of gravity and normal force.

How do I approach solving this problem?

To solve this problem, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the sled and box, identifying all the forces acting on them. Then, you can use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to calculate the net force and acceleration of the sled and box. Finally, you can use the equations for friction and the forces of gravity and normal force to determine the final velocity of the sled and box at the bottom of the slope.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this problem include forgetting to include all the forces in the free body diagram, using incorrect values for the forces, and not considering the direction of the forces. It is also important to make sure that all units are consistent throughout the calculations.

Are there any helpful tips for solving this problem?

One helpful tip for solving this problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This will make it easier to keep track of all the forces and calculations. It is also important to double check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.