What Is the Tension Required for the Box to Slip on a Snow-Covered Hill?

• Thread starter octopus41092
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary, the problem involves a rope pulling a sled with a box on top up a 22 degree slope. The masses of the sled and box are 18kg and 9kg, respectively. The tension in the rope needs to be greater than the weight component down the slope, which is approximately 99N, for the box to slip. However, this does not take into account the friction between the box and sled, which is not given in the problem. The book may provide a coefficient of friction for wood on wood, which would need to be taken into consideration in order to accurately determine the tension at which the box will slip.
octopus41092

Homework Statement

A rope attached to a 18.0kg wood sled pulls the sled up a 22.0 degree snow-covered hill. A 9.00kg wood box rides on top of the sled.

Mass of Sled: 18kg
Mass of Box: 9kg
Angle of Incline: 22 Deg

If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does the box slip?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried getting the overall tension that keeps the sled and box in equilibrium. So the tension is equal to the weight component down the slope which would be (27)(9.8)(sin 22). That gives that the tension is ~99N. So anything over that would make it slip but nope... apparently it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the friction between box and sled. (Looks like information is missing from your problem statement.)

The friction is not given in the problem.

octopus41092 said:
The friction is not given in the problem.
If there's no friction between box and sled, the box will slide. Does your book give a coefficient of friction for wood on wood?

you need the coefficient of friction between box and sledge and then work with fbd of box and sled

What is the best way to steer a sled on a snow covered hill?

The best way to steer a sled on a snow covered hill is to use your feet and body weight to shift the sled's direction. You can also use your hands to grab onto the sides of the sled to help with steering.

What should I do if my sled starts to go too fast?

If your sled starts to go too fast, you can use your feet and body weight to slow it down. You can also try dragging your feet in the snow or using your hands to lightly press on the sides of the sled to create more friction.

Can I use any type of sled on a snow covered hill?

Not all sleds are suitable for use on a snow covered hill. The best type of sleds for this activity are toboggans, saucers, and traditional wooden or plastic sleds. Avoid using inflatable or small plastic sleds as they may not be able to handle the terrain.

Is it safe to sled on a snow covered hill?

Sledding on a snow covered hill can be a fun and safe activity if done correctly. It is important to choose a hill with a gentle slope, avoid any obstacles or hazards, and always wear a helmet for added safety.

How can I make my sled go faster on a snow covered hill?

To make your sled go faster on a snow covered hill, you can try waxing the bottom of the sled with a special sled wax or even rubbing a bar of soap on the bottom. You can also try using your feet to push off from the ground to gain momentum.