1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with complex loci on Argand diagram

1. Sep 27, 2014 #1
    Hi all, I'm hoping for some help/guidance on this problem:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The complex number z is represented by the point P on the Argand diagram. Sketch and describe in words the locus of P if:

i) ##|2-iz|=2##
    ii) ##|\dfrac{1+i}{z}-2|=2##

The solutions read:
    i) ##|2-iz|=2 \Leftrightarrow |z+2i|=2##
    ii) ##|\frac{1+i}{z} -2| = 2 \Leftrightarrow |z - \frac{1+i}{2}| = |z|##

In (i), apparently what they've done is multiplied the expression ##2-iz## within the modulus by ##i##. But it doesn't explain why that is valid...
    With (ii), I have no idea how they did that...
    Some help here would be appreciated - I haven't seen any formal information given on this in the book, and I can't see how the result is implied :(

2. Relevant equations

##|z-a|## represents the scalar/real distance between two complex numbers ##z## and ##a## on the Argand diagram.

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) - Multiplication of expression inside modulus by ##i## yields answer, but I don't have the proof for why this can be done.
    (ii) - Not really sure how to start here.

Thanks!
    Stephen :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Multiplying a complex number by i amounts to a rotation of +90 degrees on the Argand plane, but doesn't change the vector's length (modulus). Plot 5+i2 and -2+i5 to illustrate this.

So perhaps in the interest of simplifying the expression, multiplying by i inside a modulus is a useful technique?

4. Sep 27, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In (i) they used two facts:
    (1) ##|z_1 z_2| = |z_1| \; |z_2|## for any two complex numbers ##z_1, z_2## (applied to ##z_1 = i##, ##z_2 = 2-iz##).
    (2) ## i \times -i = +1##.

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the help :) I have figured it out. Thanks again :D Just proved it myself that if ##|z_1| = |z_2|##, then ##|kz_1|=|kz_2|, k\in C \cup R##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted