Understanding Complex Numbers in Equations

In summary, the problem the OP is having is that they don't understand how to solve for z in the equation. They can do it by using a method often used by @Mark44 which is to express the equation in a way that z appears only once in the denominator.
lamefeed

Homework Statement

So the problem I have is this silly little equation..
$$\frac {z - 7}{z + 3} = i $$

Homework Equations

This is the thing, I don't think you need anything more advanced than basic algebra to solve this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

And I've tried solving it doing the following:

Adding ## z+3 ## to both sides ending up with:
$$z - 7 = i(z + 3) $$
Solving the parenthesis
$$z - 7 = iz + 3i $$
Subtracting the 7
$$z = iz + 3i + 7$$This is where I'm getting stuck, would anyone be kind and explain where I've done something wrong?
According to the Answers sheet I'm supposed to end up with ## z = 2 + 5i ##. I don't really care about the correct answer what I want to know is how to get there without screwing up.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check any of your calculations, but proceeding from where you are, you have:

##z = iz + 3i + 7 \iff z - iz = 3i + 7 \iff z(1-i) = 3i + 7 \iff z = \frac{3i+7}{1-i}##

And this can be simplified by multiplying nominator and denominator with ##1+i## (details left for you), resulting in ##z = 2 + 5i##, as desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes lamefeed
You have to be more careful with division. For complex numbers we have ##|z|^2=z\cdot \bar{z}## which means ##\dfrac{1}{z}=z^{-1}=\dfrac{\bar{z}}{|z|^2}##.

If you go ahead you with what you have and which is correct, you get ##z=\dfrac{7+3i}{1-i}##. Do you know where to go from there?

Here is an insight article about complexx numbers, which I think you should read:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/things-can-go-wrong-complex-numbers/

Likes lamefeed
As far as I can tell you are on the right track - you just haven't finished yet!

[EDIT] OK. so post #2 has let the cat out of the bag!

Likes lamefeed
Math_QED said:
Where does the OP perform division?
##(z+3)^{-1}## is a division. And latest at the final quotient, he will need this formula.

fresh_42 said:
##(z+3)^{-1}## is a division. And latest at the final quotient, he will need this formula.

I don't see the problem. As long as ##z \neq -3##, OP should be fine.

Likes m4r35n357
Math_QED said:
I don't see the problem. As long as ##z \neq -3##, OP should be fine.
Yes, he was correct, as edited in above. I just wanted to say that division in the complex numbers takes more care than usual. And one division has to be made, no matter where, but at least one is needed.

I've solved it, I'll take a look at the article fresh_42.

The steps I took where the following:
$$z=\frac{(3i+7)(1+i)}{(1-i)(1+i)} \Rightarrow \frac{3i+3i^2+7+7i}{1+i-i-i^2} \Rightarrow \frac{4+10i}{2} \Rightarrow 2+5i$$

Been struggling with that one for some time... Not sure why don't feel like it was particularly hard. Thanks to you guys I'm able to get further into my math homework.

Cheers!

Likes member 587159, m4r35n357 and fresh_42
lamefeed said:

Homework Statement

So the problem I have is this silly little equation..
Another way to do this is to simplify ##\displaystyle \ \frac {z - 7}{z + 3} \ ## by a method often used by @Mark44 , one of our Staff Mentors .

The idea is that ##\displaystyle \ \frac {z - 7}{z + 3} \ ## can be expressed in a way so that z appears only once, in the denominator, rather than in both numerator and denominator. That makes it easy to solve for ##z## .

##\displaystyle \frac {z - 7}{z + 3}=\frac {z+3-3 - 7}{z + 3} \ ##

##\displaystyle =\frac {z +3}{z + 3} + \frac {-10}{z + 3} ##

##\displaystyle =1- \frac {10}{z + 3} ##​

So your equation becomes ##\displaystyle \ \ \ 1- \frac {10}{z + 3}=i \,.\ ##

Resist any temptation to multiply through by ##(z+3)## . That would just defeat the purpose of doing the above work. Keep ## (z+3) ## together until the next to last step.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159
Great, now I can't solve it any more!

Now you've solved it, may I just ask for clarification of this step please?
Math_QED said:
... proceeding from where you are, you have:
##z = iz + 3i + 7 \iff - iz = 3i + 7 ##.
I can't see what operation you performed here.
It appears to me that you should get ##z = iz + 3i + 7 \iff z - iz = 3i + 7 ##
and your line suggests to me that z=0 ?

Merlin3189 said:
Now you've solved it, may I just ask for clarification of this step please?

I can't see what operation you performed here.
It appears to me that you should get ##z = iz + 3i + 7 \iff z - iz = 3i + 7 ##
and your line suggests to me that z=0 ?

Typo, I accidentally left out the z left. Your correction is right.

I corrected that post. Thanks.

m4r35n357 said:
Great, now I can't solve it any more!
@m4r35n357 What post was this referencing ?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good suggestions :)!
Starting to like doing math with complex numbers :)

Last edited:
lamefeed said:
Starting to like doing math with complex numbers, been struggling with another one though, not sure if I should make a new thread or keep it within this one?

Cheers!
Yes, start a new thread.

Likes lamefeed
lamefeed said:
Starting to like doing math with complex numbers :)
upload_2018-8-29_19-15-16.png
sign error

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_19-15-16.png
    upload_2018-8-29_19-15-16.png
    2 KB · Views: 325
Likes lamefeed
another approach is write out ##z = a +bi##

1.) recall that magnitudes (like determinants) multiply. So take the squared magnitude of each side of the original equation and get

##\big((a-7)^2 + b^2\big) \big((a+3)^2 + b^2\big)^{-1} = 1 \to (a-7)^2 = (a+3)^2 ##

which tells us
##(a-7) = -(a+3) \to a = 2##

(note it cannot be ##(a-7) = +(a+3) ## because that is equivalent to saying ##-7 = +3##) 2.) plugging back into the original problem

##\big(-5 +bi\big) \big(5 + bi\big)^{-1} = i##

you can directly chug through the inversion here, but there's a nicer finish. Multiply each side by ##-i## (that way, symbolically this reads ##x \cdot x^{-1} = 1## which is a typical way for relating something to its inverse)

##\big(b + 5i \big) \big(5 + bi\big)^{-1} = 1##

By eyeballing this, we can guess ## b= 5## and see that works. Since each non-zero complex number has a unique inverse, then the guess is in fact the solution.

SammyS said:
@m4r35n357 What post was this referencing ?
Oops, #10. I don't get it!

m4r35n357 said:
Oops, #10. I don't get it!
In Post #10, the last step I showed gave :
So your equation becomes ##\displaystyle \ \ \ 1- \frac {10}{z + 3}=i \,.\ ##​

From there, isolate the.term with z+3 .
##\displaystyle 1-i= \frac {10}{z + 3} \,\ ##​
.then
##\displaystyle z + 3= \frac {10}{1-i} \,\ ##​

Rationalize the denominator & simplify.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
##\displaystyle z + 3= \frac {10}{1-i} \,\ ##​

Rationalize the denominator & simplify.
Ah, OK thanks. I would have counted the "exchange" of terms as equivalent to (potentially) multiplying by 0, just like the solution I got, but then I'm no mathematician!

1. What are complex numbers and why are they used in equations?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary part. They are used in equations because they allow us to solve problems that cannot be solved with only real numbers. They are especially useful in physics and engineering applications.

2. How do you represent complex numbers in equations?

Complex numbers are typically represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The letter i represents the square root of -1. Complex numbers can also be represented graphically on a complex plane, with the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis.

3. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be represented on a number line and include all rational and irrational numbers. Imaginary numbers are numbers that involve the square root of -1, and cannot be represented on a number line. Complex numbers combine both real and imaginary components.

4. How are complex numbers used in solving equations?

Complex numbers are used in solving equations by allowing us to find solutions to problems that involve taking the square root of a negative number. They are also useful in representing and analyzing periodic functions such as sine and cosine.

5. Can complex numbers be used in all types of equations?

Yes, complex numbers can be used in all types of equations. They are especially useful in solving problems involving electricity and magnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. However, some equations may not have a complex solution, in which case the solution is limited to only real numbers.