1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with complex number derivation

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Suppose the segment connecting (a,b) to (0,0) has length r[itex]_{1}[/itex] and forms an angle [itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{1}[/itex] with the positive side of the x-axis. Suppose the segment connecting (c,d) to (0,0) has a length r[itex]_{2}[/itex] and forms an angle [itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex] with the positive side of the x-axis. Now let (a+bi)(c+di)=x+yi. Show that the length of the segment connecting (x,y) to the origin is r[itex]_{1}[/itex]r[itex]_{2}[/itex] and the angle formed is [itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{1}[/itex]+[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex].

(b) Use the result from (a) to find a complex number z[itex]\in[/itex]C such that z^2=i.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a+bi)(c+di)=x+yi
    ac+adi+bci+bd(i[itex]^{2}[/itex])=x+yi
    ac+adi+bci-bd=x+yi
    (ac-bd)+(ad+bc)=x+yi
    x=(ac-bd), y=(ad+bc)

I'm not sure where to go from here. Just looking for some help. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Remember the formulas for going from standard form of a complex number to trig form. If z = a + bi = r(cos θ + i sin θ), then
    [itex]r = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex],
    a = r cos θ and b = r sin θ, and
    [itex]\tan \theta = \frac{b}{a}[/itex].

If x=(ac-bd) and y=(ad+bc), then what is
    [itex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]? You'll need to make it equal to r1r2.

For the angle, you'll need the tangent of a sum identity.
    [itex]\tan (\theta_1 + \theta_2) = \frac{\tan \theta_1 + \tan \theta_2}{1 - \tan \theta_1 \tan \theta_2}[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    I'm honestly not getting very far with this. Could you help me out a little more?

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4
    Ok, I got the first part. Now I need to prove the angle part. Any help?

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5

eumyang

Homework Helper

Start with this. Plug in what x and y equals into the square root and expand the radicand. Show us what you get.

EDIT: Never mind. You said that you got this part.

[itex]\tan \theta_1 = \frac{b}{a}[/itex]
    and
    [itex]\tan \theta_2 = \frac{d}{c}[/itex]
    Plug these into the formula above and simplify. Somehow you'll have to simplify to y/x. (Remember that you had x and y can be expressed in terms of a, b, c, and d.)

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6
    Hmmm...

After I plug those in, what methods can I use to simply that expression?

8. Sep 7, 2011 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

After plugging those in, try multiplying the numerator and denominator of this complex fraction by ac.

(Going to bed now... :zzz:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook