1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to show that (C-{0},*)/{x+yi|x^2+y^2=1} is isomorphic to (R+,*)

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. I need to show that the quotient group G/ℝ+ is isomorphic to U using the Fundamental Theorem on group homomorphisms. I believe I can get there if someone can just help me find what ψ, the homomorphism function is supposed to be.
    G=(ℂ-{0},*)
    U={x+yi|x^2+y^2=1}

2. Relevant equations
    Fundamental Theorem on group homomorphisms

3. The attempt at a solution
    Note that ℝ⁺ is the subset of G where for any (x+yi)∈G, y=0.
    First, we need to find a homomorphism ϕ:G→U such that ker(ϕ)=ℝ⁺.
    Need to find: a,b such that (x+yi)⋅(a+bi)=(x+yi) given x²+y²=1 and a²+b²=1.
    (x+yi)⋅(a+bi)=ax+bxi+ayi-by=(ax-by)+(bx+ay)i=(x+yi)
    We also know (ax-by)²+(bx+ay)²=1.
    Then (ax-by)=x and (bx+ay)=y.
    So, a=1 and b=0, so e_{U}=1+0i.
    Therefore, ϕ(x+yi)=1+yi, since only y=0 will give you 1+0i, which is e_{U}, which makes R⁺ be the ker(ϕ).
    This ϕ is not onto.
    ϕ(x+yi) is a homomorphism since for any a+bi,c+di∈G, ϕ((a+bi)⋅(c+di))=ϕ((ac-bd)+(ad+bc)i)=1+(ad+bc)i≠***(1-bd)+(b+d)i=(1+bi)⋅(1+di)=ϕ(a+bi)⋅ϕ(c+di). ***this is not equal
    Then, by Thm 13.2 (Fundamental Theorem on group homomorphisms), ϕ(G)=G/ker(ϕ). So, (1+yi)≅G/R⁺.
    ****I went wrong somewhere since it's supposed to be U, not (1+yi).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2
    and x > 0 I assume. At least if you use standard notation.

This is the right idea. Then show it is onto (surjective).

I don't understand why you try to find such a,b. Also since you know [itex]\mathbb{C}\setminus\{0\}[/itex] (or U) is a group it is immediate that the only such a,b is (1,0) since you may just cancel out (x+iy).

and it is not a group homomorphism, nor is it a function to U.

Try to see if you can think of a simpler way to construct a group homomorphism. Remember that G is the punctured complex plane and U is the unit circle. Do you happen to know a standard way to associate a unit vector to any non-zero vector? Try that for your [itex]\varphi[/itex].

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    "Try to see if you can think of a simpler way to construct a group homomorphism. Remember that G is the punctured complex plane and U is the unit circle. Do you happen to know a standard way to associate a unit vector to any non-zero vector? Try that for your φ."

Ok, so you're saying that my homomorphism could be ψ(x+yi)=(x+yi)/√(x^2+y^2), right?
    I haven't checked that that's a homomorphism, but assuming it is, that would be onto!

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4
    Sorry, it won't let me use the right symbol, so for now I'm using ψ.

6. Feb 28, 2012 #5
    That is a good idea. I would however suggest writing
    [tex]|z| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
    because then you can use identities like |zw|=|z||w| and your group homomorphism is just [itex]z \mapsto z/|z|[/itex] (this is of course the exact same thing just written in more concise notation).

The reason why we might suspect that it is a homomorphism is that multiplication of complex numbers just adds their angles and multiply their magnitudes. The map you proposed would simply consist of forgetting magnitudes. Of course this is not a formal argument, but it suggests why it should be true.

7. Feb 28, 2012 #6
    Thank you so much! I'm pretty sure I have it now. You are awesome!

8. Feb 29, 2012 #7

Deveno

Science Advisor

i am confused.

the title of the thread says that you need to show that

C*/U ≅ R+ (where multiplication is the group operation for both groups)

which is true, but the proper homomorphism has not been discussed here.

subsequent discussion has focused on trying to show that:

C*/R+ ≅ U which is not quite the same thing.

9. Feb 29, 2012 #8
    You are correct, sorry. I must have been looking at part a of my homework problem when I wrote the title and part b when I wrote out the problem. I had done part a already, as it was the easier of the two, and thanks to this thread, I got part b as well!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook