Help with compound angle formulae (exact value) for angles over 120 degrees?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding compound angle formulae and how to use them to solve for exact values of trigonometric functions. They mention using special triangle angles and converting them to radians, but are unsure of what to do for angles like 165 degrees. They also mention specific equations that involve adding or subtracting angles, but are not sure how to apply them. They ask for clarification on how to solve for tan165 and tan 13π/12, and mention asking for help from someone else.
misplaced1
1. I don't understand coumpound angle formulae, for example sin(x+y), sin(x-y) etc. I'm supposed to solve using angles in the special triangles--so I use angles like 45, 30, 60, or those angles converted into radians--and add them to get the answer. For example: sin15 would be solved using sin(x-y) or sin (45-30). But when I have a question like "find the exact value of tan165", I'm lost as to what to do.

Question:
Solve the following using exact values:
a)tan165

b)tan 13π/12

2. Relevant Eqns:
tan(x+y)= tanx+tany / 1-tanxtany
tan(x-y)= tanx-tany / 1+tanxtany
3. I'm not at all sure how to go about solving it.

Physics news on Phys.org
misplaced1 said:
1. I don't understand coumpound angle formulae, for example sin(x+y), sin(x-y) etc. I'm supposed to solve using angles in the special triangles--so I use angles like 45, 30, 60, or those angles converted into radians--and add them to get the answer. For example: sin15 would be solved using sin(x-y) or sin (45-30). But when I have a question like "find the exact value of tan165", I'm lost as to what to do.

Question:
Solve the following using exact values:
a)tan165

b)tan 13π/12

2. Relevant Eqns:
tan(x+y)= tanx+tany / 1-tanxtany
tan(x-y)= tanx-tany / 1+tanxtany

3. I'm not at all sure how to go about solving it.
There are only a few angles that have "nice" trig functions that we can represent exactly - 0, 30, 45, 60, and 90 degrees are the ones in the first quadrant. Using the sum and difference formulas and the double-angle and half-angle formulas, we can get a few more.

Notice that 165 degrees = 180 degrees - 15 degrees. Does that suggest an identity that you could use to get the exact value of tan(165 degrees)?

13π/12 = π + π/12, and π/12 = 15 degrees, so tan(13π/12) = tan(π + π/12) = ?

When you say "I don't understand coumpound angle formulae" there's not a whole lot we can do. Do you have any specific questions on these formulas?

Thanks for your reply.
In answer to "Notice that 165 degrees = 180 degrees - 15 degrees. Does that suggest an identity that you could use to get the exact value of tan(165 degrees)?", I asked someone about this and they explained to me that I could use the special triangle angles, but just use them in a different quadrant. So 165 degrees would be in the second quadrant with an acute angle of 15 degrees. If this is the case, would the answer to tan165 would be negative because it is in the second and therefore cosine quadrant? And is solving for tan15 in the second quadrant the answer or do I have to add anything to that?

1. What are compound angle formulae?

Compound angle formulae are mathematical equations used to find the exact values of trigonometric functions for angles that are formed by combining two or more basic angles.

2. How do I find the exact values of compound angles?

To find the exact values of compound angles, you can use the compound angle formulae, which involve manipulating and combining known values from the unit circle or trigonometric identities.

3. How do I use compound angle formulae for angles over 120 degrees?

To use compound angle formulae for angles over 120 degrees, you can use the identities for double angle, triple angle, or half angle to break down the angle into smaller values that can be solved using the formulae.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the exact values of compound angles?

Yes, most scientific calculators have built-in functions for calculating the exact values of compound angles. However, it is important to understand the formulae and how to use them for a deeper understanding of the concept.

5. Why is it important to know compound angle formulae for angles over 120 degrees?

Knowing compound angle formulae for angles over 120 degrees is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It allows for more accurate and precise calculations in complex problems that involve multiple angles.