Solving trigonometric equations using compound angle formula

In summary, the equation 2sinx = 3cos(x-60) can be solved using either cofunction or compound angle formulas, but x = -68.3 yields a negative answer and x = 111.7 yields a positive answer.
Tangeton
Hello.

I find this whole topic of compound angle formula really confusing. I've been doing equations like cos(60+x) = sinx using the co function identities so far, yet this one seems to be impossible to do using cofunction identities so I need to know how to do it using compound angle formula. And yes this is definitely meant to be done using compound angle formula no double angle since in the book double angle hasnt even been mentioned at this point...

The question is to solve the equation 2sinx = 3cos(x-60) for values of x in the range 0 < x <180. I can't solve using cofunction due to the constants, but if anyone knows how to solve using cofunction identities with the constants this kind of answer is also welcomed.

I tried using compound angle formula after using cofunction identities where 2sinx = 2cos(90-x)

29vh0sy.png

I tried to bring everything to the power of 2 but this gave me 11tan^2x = -9 so that is impossible.
I tried to take away 3sqrt3tan from 4tan which equaled 3 but this gave me the wrong answer.

The answer is 111.7.

Ive used x and feta interchangeably as don't know how to place feta symbol on keyboard.

Thanks for help.

EDIT 2: Corrected every typo eveywhere

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangeton said:
Hello.

I find this whole topic of compound angle formula really confusing. I've been doing equations like cos(60+x) = sinx using the co function identities so far, yet this one seems to be impossible to do using cofunction identities so I need to know how to do it using compound angle formula. And yes this is definitely meant to be done using compound angle formula no double angle since in the book double angle hasnt even been mentioned at this point...

The question is to solve the equation 2sinx = 3cos(x-60) for values of x in the range 0 < x <180. I can't solve using cofunction due to the constants, but if anyone knows how to solve using cofunction identities with the constants this kind of answer is also welcomed.

I tried using compound angle formula after using cofunction identities where 2sinx = 2cos(90-x)

29vh0sy.png

I tried to take away 3sqrt3tan from 4tan which equaled 3 but this gave me the wrong answer.

The answer is 111.7.

Why did this give you the wrong answer?

Nearly there. In your last equation just solve for ##tan \theta##.

Tangeton said:
Hello.

nobot2.jpg

I tried to bring everything to the power of 2

Why? You know what √3 is.
By the way, you lost a "3". After multiplication by 2 , the right hand side is 3cos(θ)+3√3 sin(θ), so you get the equation 4tan(θ)=3+3√3tan(θ) for tan(θ).
Bring the tan(θ) terms on one side, solve for tan(θ).

4tan(θ)=3+3√3tan(θ)
3+3√3tan(θ)- 4tan(θ) = 0
3 + (3√3-4)tan(θ) = 0
(3√3-4)Tan(θ) = -3
Tan(θ) = -3/(3√3-4)
θ = Tan^-1(-3/(3√3-4) ) = -68.3 (3sf) but the answer is 111.7...

And upon plugging in x = -68.3 and x = 111.7, it turns out that they both do make the equation 2sinx = 3cos(x-60) equal on both sides, yet x = -68.3 gives equal negative and x = 111.7 gives equal positives. 180 - 68.3 = 111.7. So I found the reason for my result. Would you guys say both answers would be accepted...?

EDIT: I actually got the same answer before making this post but book said it was wrong so I got really confused.

Tangeton said:
4tan(θ)=3+3√3tan(θ)
3+3√3tan(θ)- 4tan(θ) = 0
3 + (3√3-4)tan(θ) = 0
(3√3-4)Tan(θ) = -3
Tan(θ) = -3/(3√3-4)

And upon plugging in x = -68.3 and x = 111.7, it turns out that they both do make the equation 2sinx = 3cos(x-60) equal on both sides, yet x = -68.3 gives equal negative and x = 111.7 gives equal positives. 180 - 68.3 = 111.7. So I found the reason for my result. Would you guys say both answers would be accepted...?

Not if ##0 < x < 180## as was stated in your original post.

PeroK said:
Not if ##0 < x < 180## as was stated in your original post.

Ahh okay I forgot about that bit.. I guess I would have to remember to use the CAST diagram for my answer. Thanks for all help, everyone.

Tangeton said:
4tan(θ)=3+3√3tan(θ)
3+3√3tan(θ)- 4tan(θ) = 0
3 + (3√3-4)tan(θ) = 0
(3√3-4)Tan(θ) = -3
Tan(θ) = -3/(3√3-4)

You know that the tangent function is periodic with period of 180°. And you need to find solution in the range 0<θ<180°. Adding 180° to your result is also solution, just in the desired range.

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation using compound angle formula?

To solve a trigonometric equation using compound angle formula, first identify the compound angle formula that is needed for the equation. Then, substitute the values of the angles into the formula and simplify the resulting expression. Finally, solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

2. What are the most common compound angle formulas used in trigonometry?

The most frequently used compound angle formulas in trigonometry are:

• sin(A + B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B)
  • cos(A + B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B)
  • tan(A + B) = (tan(A) + tan(B)) / (1 - tan(A)tan(B))

3. Can I use the compound angle formulas to solve for any trigonometric function?

Yes, the compound angle formulas can be used to solve for any trigonometric function. However, some functions may require more than one compound angle formula to be solved.

4. Are there any special cases when solving trigonometric equations using compound angle formula?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when using compound angle formulas:

• When the given equation contains a double angle, you may need to use the double angle formula instead.
  • When the given equation involves inverse trigonometric functions, you may need to use the inverse trigonometric formulas to solve for the angles before using the compound angle formulas.

5. Is there a specific process to follow when solving trigonometric equations using compound angle formula?

Yes, there are several steps you can follow to solve a trigonometric equation using compound angle formula:

1. Identify the compound angle formula needed for the equation.
  2. Substitute the values of the angles into the formula.
  3. Simplify the resulting expression.
  4. Solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.
  5. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.