1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with coordinate transformation problem

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For elliptical cylindrical coordinates:

x = a * cosh (u) * cos (v)
    y = a * sinh (u) * sin (v)
    z = z

Derive the relations analogous to those of Equations (168b-e) for circular cylindrical coordinates. In particular, verify that

h_u = h_v = a * sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v))
    h_z = 1

u_1 = {[sinh (u) * cos (v)](i) + [cosh (u) * sin (v)](j)} / sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v))
    u_2 = {[cosh (u) * sin (v)](-i) + [sinh (u) * cos (v)](j)} / sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v))

2. Relevant equations

From the book:
    h_u = magnitude( dr/du_1)
    and similarly for h_v and h_z

U_u = h_u * u_u

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I think I am either getting confused between u's or am missing some vital trig identity.
    From the equations given for the x,y and z coordinates, I get that the new relevant variables are u, v and z. So the position vector for the coordinate system can be written as:

r = (a * cosh (u) * cos (v)) + (a * sinh (u) * sin (v))[j] + z[k]

So, from here I can get:

u_u = (dr/du_u) = (a * sinh (u) * cos (v)) + (a * cosh (u) * sin (v))[j] + 0[k]
    u_v = (dr/du_v) = (-a * cosh (u) * sin (v)) + (a * sinh (u) * cos (v))[j] + 0[k]
    u_z = (dr/du_z) = 0 + 0[j] + 1[k]

from here, it follows from the formulas in the book that:

h_u = magnitude(dr/du_u) = sqrt [(a * sinh (u) * cos (v))^2 + (a * cosh (u) * sin (v))^2 + 0^2]

=a * sqrt[sinh^2 (u) cos^2 (v) +cosh^2 (u) sin^2 (v)]

This is as far as I can simplify it, and I do not know how they are getting their answer of a * sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v)), unless there is some identity that I am unaware of or I screwed something up somewhere along the line. Any ideas or insight from someone who has done coordinate transformations before?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

You might find the next identities helpful:
    sin^2=1-cos^2

sinh^2 = cosh^2 -1

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    That helped greatly! Thanks! I was aware of the sin - cos identity, but had never been taught the hyperbolic identities. With those I easily get the answer they give.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook