Help with Deciding on Engineering major

In summary, the conversation discusses the marketability of an Applied Electronics Engineering degree and whether it is considered a traditional engineering program. The speaker is unsure if this degree will lead to job opportunities and is seeking advice. Another individual mentions knowing someone with a similar degree who works at a specific company, but notes that job availability may vary depending on location.
tjfloyd.eet
Does anybody know anything about ATMAE accredited engineering programs? I'm currently studying Applied Electronics Engineering, and I know it's not traditional engineering nor is it engineering at the least.. it's kind of a joke; just a two year engineering technology degree with management classes added on.

What I need to know is, will this degree be marketable?? Can I find a job easily with it?? I haven't spoke to anybody that's graduated with this degree, but I've heard that none of them can find a job. I really need to know if this is true or not.

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know a guy with a degree like that who works at Telligent.

Obviously this would depend on location. It's easier for an electrical engeering technologist to get a job than an electrical engineer at my location; however, you are limited with what you can do with a two year tech degree.

What are the different types of engineering majors?

There are many different types of engineering majors, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and computer engineering. Each major focuses on a different aspect of engineering and may have different career opportunities.

What factors should I consider when deciding on an engineering major?

Some factors to consider when deciding on an engineering major include your interests, skills, career goals, job market demand, and salary potential. It is also important to research the curriculum and course requirements of each major to see if it aligns with your goals.

Can I switch engineering majors in college?

Yes, it is possible to switch engineering majors in college. However, it may result in taking additional courses and potentially delaying graduation. It is important to speak with an academic advisor and carefully consider the decision before switching majors.

Is it necessary to have prior experience in engineering before choosing a major?

No, prior experience in engineering is not necessary when choosing a major. Many students enter college with little to no experience in engineering and are able to succeed in their chosen major. However, having a strong foundation in math and science can be helpful.

How can I explore different engineering majors before making a decision?

There are several ways to explore different engineering majors, such as attending college fairs, speaking with current engineering students and professionals, and participating in internships or job shadowing opportunities. You can also research different majors online and speak with academic advisors for more information.