1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with deciding on undergraduate college

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    So at this point, I have been accepted into both Ohio State University and the University of Michigan. I plan on majoring in physics and continuing on to grad school. I know that Michigan has a better physics program than OSU. The only problem is that Michigan will cost roughly $15000 more than OSU per year. So, I am wondering if the higher cost at Michigan is worth it to help get into a good graduate school? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2
    They're both rigorous undergraduate programs with opportunities for research onsite. I don't think your choice between these two schools will have any real impact on your grad school chances. What you do with the opportunities at each school will have far more of an impact than this choice between attending them.

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3
    Good point here, I agree. The choice is ultimately up to you. If you feel the that the physics program at one school is superior to the other, then you could possibly consider that alternative; however, since OSU is cheaper, I'd also take that into consideration. If you qualify for financial aid, that will help a lot, or taking out a loan to pay for University of Michigan.

I do hear that the graduate program for physics at Michigan State is pretty good, but for now you only have to worry about Undergrad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook