Help with derivation of two-body relativistic cross section

In summary, the conversation revolves around deriving the 2 body relativistic cross section, with a specific focus on step (13)-(14) and understanding why d√s/dp_f=v_f. The issue with the attempted solution is that it assumes dv_c/dp_c = 0 and dv_d/dp_c = 0, and suggests differentiating -m_c^2 = p_c^2-E_c^2 to calculate dE_c/dp_c.
charlesmartin14

Homework Statement

I am trying to derive the 2 body cross section, as given in
https://web2.ph.utexas.edu/~schwitte/PHY362L/QMnote.pdf

dσ/dΩ

Homework Equations

I am stuck on

d√s/dp=v

where

√s=(Ea+Eb)=E

The Attempt at a Solution

p=Ev (relativisitic energy-momentum relationship)
√s=E

E=Ec+Ed=p/vc + p/vd

pc = pd = pf

d√s/dp = d(Ec+Ed)/dp = d(p/vc + p/vc)/dp=(1/vc + 1/vd)=(vc+vd)/(vc*vd)=vf/vc*vd

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a specific question?

I am trying to derive the 2+2 body relativisitic cross section, as given in
https://web2.ph.utexas.edu/~schwitte/PHY362L/QMnote.pdf

a+b -> c+d

I want the form of the cross section

dσ/dΩ ~ 1/((v_i)(v_f))

I am stuck on step (13)-(14)
and I don't understand why d√s/dp_f=v_f

Here, s is the mandelstam variable √s=(Ec+Ed)=(Ea+Eb)
and p_f is the (amplitude) of the final (I assume 3 vector ) momentum

##\vec{p}_\text{f}## is the three-momentum of particle C.

Try differentiating ##-m_c^2 = p_c^2-E_c^2## to calculate ##dE_c/dp_c##. I think the problem with your attempt is that you're assuming ##dv_c/dp_c = 0## and ##dv_d/dp_c = 0##.

vela said:
##\vec{p}_\text{f}## is the three-momentum of particle C.

Try differentiating ##-m_c^2 = p_c^2-E_c^2## to calculate ##dE_c/dp_c##. I think the problem with your attempt is that you're assuming ##dv_c/dp_c = 0## and ##dv_d/dp_c = 0##.

Thanks ! That makes perfect sense. this is a great forum

Related to Help with derivation of two-body relativistic cross section

1. What is a two-body relativistic cross section?

A two-body relativistic cross section is a measurement of the probability of a scattering event between two particles in a relativistic system. It takes into account the energy and momentum of both particles and is used to study interactions between particles at high energies.

2. How is a two-body relativistic cross section derived?

A two-body relativistic cross section is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. The starting point is the scattering amplitude, which describes the probability of a scattering event. The cross section is then obtained by integrating the squared amplitude over all possible final states of the particles.

3. What are the key factors that affect the value of a two-body relativistic cross section?

The value of a two-body relativistic cross section is primarily affected by the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the scattering event. The masses and charges of the particles also play a role, as well as any other interactions or forces present in the system.

4. How is a two-body relativistic cross section used in experimental physics?

A two-body relativistic cross section is an important tool in experimental physics as it allows scientists to study the properties of particles and their interactions at high energies. It is used to analyze data from particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments, and can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and particles of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of a two-body relativistic cross section?

While a two-body relativistic cross section is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that only two particles are involved in the scattering event and does not account for any additional particles or interactions that may occur. It also relies on theoretical models and assumptions, so the results may not always perfectly match experimental data.