Help with deriving an Equation from 4 others

• Thread starter blaZkowicZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of deriving an equation from four simpler equations. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations a=\alphaR, RT=I\alpha, M1g-T=M1a, and I=(1/2)M2R^2. After some steps, the equation a=M1g/(1/2)M2+M1 is obtained, but the value for "a" at the bottom is incorrect. Suggestions are given to group the terms properly and to multiply both sides by (1/2)M2 for easier solving.
blaZkowicZ

Homework Statement

Our teacher assigned us this problem of trying to derive and equation from 4 simpler equations and I just can't seem to get the correct answer so I need some help.

a= M1g / (1/2)M2+M1

a= acceleration
M1= Mass 1
M2= Mass 2
g= gravity
R= radius
T= tension
I= moment of inertia
[tex]\alpha[/tex]= angular acceleration

Homework Equations

These are the four equations at which I am supposed to derive the equation above from

a) RT = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
b)M1g-T = M1a
c)a = [tex]\alpha[/tex]R
d) I = (1/2)M2R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very close to the answer but no cigar

a=[tex]\alpha[/tex]R

a= (RT/I)*R

a= [ RTR / (1/2)M2R2]

a= T / (1/2)M2

a= -(M1a) + M1g / (1/2) M2a= (M1g) / ((1/2)M2 + M1a

As you can see I can get all of it correct except for the "a" on the bottom of the equation is wrong. Does anyone have any idea on what to do here? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the last step? if you want 'a' just group them together.

blaZkowicZ said:

Homework Statement

Our teacher assigned us this problem of trying to derive and equation from 4 simpler equations and I just can't seem to get the correct answer so I need some help.

a= M1g / (1/2)M2+M1

a= acceleration
M1= Mass 1
M2= Mass 2
g= gravity
R= radius
T= tension
I= moment of inertia
[tex]\alpha[/tex]= angular acceleration

Homework Equations

These are the four equations at which I am supposed to derive the equation above from

a) RT = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
b)M1g-T = M1a
c)a = [tex]\alpha[/tex]R
d) I = (1/2)M2R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very close to the answer but no cigar

a=[tex]\alpha[/tex]R

a= (RT/I)*R

a= [ RTR / (1/2)M2R2]

a= T / (1/2)M2

a= -(M1a) + M1g / (1/2) M2
It looks good up to here, but you really should use parentheses to group the terms properly:

a= -(M1a + M1g) / ((1/2) M2)

I suggest multiplying on both sides by (1/2)M2, so that you won't have a complicated fraction to deal with. Then it will be easier to use semc's suggestion of grouping the a's together.

1. Can you explain the process of deriving an equation from 4 others?

Deriving an equation involves manipulating and combining existing equations to create a new one that represents the relationship between different variables. This process can involve algebraic manipulations, substitution, and simplification.

2. What are some strategies for deriving an equation?

Some strategies for deriving an equation include identifying patterns and relationships between variables, using known equations and their properties, and simplifying complex equations to reveal underlying relationships.

3. Can I use any 4 equations to derive a new one?

Not all combinations of equations will result in a meaningful or accurate derived equation. It is important to carefully choose equations that are relevant to the problem at hand and have compatible variables.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should combine the 4 equations?

The order in which you combine equations may affect the resulting derived equation. It is important to consider the properties of each equation and how they relate to each other before combining them.

5. How can I check if my derived equation is correct?

You can check the validity of your derived equation by plugging in values for the variables and comparing the results to the original equations. Additionally, you can use mathematical principles and logic to verify the equation's accuracy.