Help with Disk/washer and Shell method

In summary: Please answer the other questions.In summary, the region bounded by y=x^2 and y=3x has two possible volumes. The first volume is obtained by rotating the region about the x axis, while the second volume is obtained by rotating the region about the line x=4. Both volumes are determined by the integrals of the shell and disk methods. The radius and height of the shell are not determinable, but the thickness of the shell can be found using the equation y=shell radius*shell height.
cummings15

Homework Statement

Region bounded by y=x^2 and y=3x. Set up integrals to determine volume of solid obtained by rotating the region about:

1. the x axis
show both disk/washer method and shell method

2. the line x=4
show both disk/washer method and shell method

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the bounds of the integral are 0,9 for first one
The second one i think is bounded by 0,4.

I just need help figuring out what the Radius is and the height for disk and shell.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Not sure how to go about solving the problem " isn't a valid attempt.

You must have tried some things? Have you looked in your textbook for a formula of the volume of a solid of revolution??

I got the forumlas

Washer v=pi integral from a to b [Rx^2- rx^2]dx
Shell= v=2pi integral from a to b [radius*height]dx
Disk same a washer just without little r

anybody?

For problem 1 i got for shell equation

y=shell radius
shell height= y^(1/2)-(y/3)
bounded from 12,16

FOr wahser i got
Rx = (y/3)-y^(1/2)

cummings15 said:
For problem 1 i got for shell equation

y=shell radius
shell height= y^(1/2)-(y/3)
bounded from 12,16
OK, these are correct for the radius and the "height". What about the thickness of the shell.
Where did you get 12 and 16 for the limits of integration? Did you draw a sketch of the region being revolved?

Where do the curves y = x2 and y = 3x intersect?
cummings15 said:
FOr wahser i got
Rx = (y/3)-y^(1/2)
What does Rx mean? The formula you have here is way off. Draw a sketch of the region and what the washer will look like.

Last edited:
the 12 and 16 are what i got for a,b for the part of equation

i think a will be 0 because of x-axis but i am not sure what b will be

cummings15 said:
the 12 and 16 are what i got for a,b for the part of equation
What do you mean, the a and b part of the equation?
cummings15 said:
i think a will be 0 because of x-axis but i am not sure what b will be
Please take another look at my previous post. I asked several questions, of which you answered only one.

1. What is the disk/washer method?

The disk/washer method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by integrating the cross-sectional area of the solid.

2. When is the disk/washer method used?

This method is used when the cross-sectional area of the solid is circular or can be approximated by circular slices, such as in the case of a cone, cylinder, or sphere.

3. How does the disk/washer method differ from the shell method?

The disk/washer method and the shell method are both techniques used to find the volume of a solid of revolution, but they differ in the shape of the cross-sectional area being integrated. The disk/washer method uses circular cross-sections, while the shell method uses rectangular or cylindrical cross-sections.

4. What is the formula for the disk/washer method?

The formula for the disk/washer method is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the circular cross-section and h is the height of the solid.

5. Are there any limitations to the disk/washer method?

The disk/washer method is only applicable when the solid of revolution has a circular cross-section. If the cross-sectional area is not circular, the shell method can be used instead.