Finding Volume Using Disk and Washer Method: Rotation about the Y-Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y=x^2+1 and y=3-x^2 about the x-axis and y-axis using the disk/washer method. The first part involves calculating the integral using the given formula, resulting in a correct solution of 32pi/3. For the second part, the integral needs to be split into two parts: y=1 to 2 and y=2 to 3. It is also important to only include the part of the region for x≥0 or x≤0 to avoid duplicating the volume.
chupe
Consider the region bounded by the curves y=x^2+1 and y=3-x^2

a) using the disk/washer method, find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating this region about the x axis

This was very straight forward
v=int(1, -1) pi((3-x^2)^2)-(x^2+1)^2))dx
I finished the problem with 32pi/3 which I think is correct.

However the next part I have no idea how to set up using the disk washer method.

b) Set up the integral for finding the volume of the solid obtained by rotating about the y-axis.

I know that the integration will have to be done in parts but I don't know where to split it into parts. If someone could help me set up the question that would be amazing.

Thank you,
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
the second part looks much simpler than the first! You have already determined, for the first part, that the two graphs intersect at x= -1 and 1. Those are, of course, at [itex]y= (-1)^2+ 1= (1)^2+ 1= 3- (-1)^2= 3- (1)^2= 2[/itex]. That is, you need to do y= 1 to 2 and y= 2 to 3 separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
More like y= 1 to 2 and y= 2 to 3. (Oh! HoF already corrected this.)

Also, if you do the disk/washer method, only include the part of the region for x ≥ 0 , or x ≤ 0, otherwise you will have twice the actual volume.

What is the disk and washer method?

The disk and washer method is a technique used to find the volume of a solid by rotating a cross-sectional area around an axis. This method is commonly used in calculus and is also known as the cylindrical shell method.

How does the disk and washer method work?

The disk and washer method uses the formula V = ∫π(R^2 - r^2)dx, where R is the outer radius of the cross-sectional area, r is the inner radius, and dx is the thickness of the slices being rotated. This formula is integrated over the given bounds to find the volume of the solid.

What are the differences between the disk and washer method?

The main difference between the disk and washer method is the shape of the cross-sectional area being rotated. The disk method is used when the cross-section is a circle, while the washer method is used when the cross-section is a ring or annulus. Additionally, the disk method uses a single radius, while the washer method uses both an inner and outer radius.

When should the disk and washer method be used?

The disk and washer method is typically used when the cross-sectional area of a solid can be represented as a function of x or y, and when the solid is revolved around a horizontal or vertical axis. This method is commonly used in finding the volume of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

What are some real-life applications of the disk and washer method?

The disk and washer method has various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of water in a swimming pool, finding the volume of a soda can, or determining the volume of a pipe or tube. It is also used in engineering and construction to calculate the volume of objects with circular cross-sections, such as pillars or columns.