1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Energy unit Joules EASY

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Help with Energy unit ... Joules... EASY!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The sun burns up 3.6 x 10[tex]^{9}[/tex] kg of matter each second.
    Using the formula E = mc[tex]^{2}[/tex], determine how much energy the
    sun releases each second. [Speed of light: 3 x 10[tex]^{8}[/tex] m[tex]/[/tex]s]

2. Relevant equations

E = mc[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

E = mc[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    . .= (3.6 x 10[tex]^{9}[/tex] kg)(3 x 10[tex]^{8}[/tex] m[tex]/[/tex]s)[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    . .= (3.6 x 10[tex]^{9}[/tex] kg)(9 x 10[tex]^{16}[/tex] m[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]/[/tex]s[tex]^{2}[/tex])
    . .= 32.4 x 10[tex]^{25}[/tex] [tex]\frac{kg \cdot m^2}{s^2}[/tex]

Now I'm stumped with what to do with the units... I know it should be Joules per second. But how do I show in my solution that Joules will come out? Joules is N[tex]\cdot[/tex]m!!!

Do I have to change the kg into N? .... My textbook says that the magnitude of c[tex]^{2}[/tex] is 9 x 10[tex]^{16}[/tex] Joules per kilogram.

Please check my calculations also!!!
    Thank You!!! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First hint: How is "Joule" defined?
    Second hint: If E = mc[tex]^{2}[/tex] is valid, and you have SI units to the right, then you must obtain SI units on the left hand side as well.

The second hint would not be true if you was working with the natural units in sub-atomic phyiscs, where both c and h-bar = 1 i.e E = m, then one must do a more careful unit analysis.

4. May 1, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A Joule is N m and a Newton, N, is kg m/s2. So a Joule is kgm2/s2. That's exactly what you have!

5. May 1, 2008 #4
    Hmmm.....

well Joule is the unit of work. N*m
    Newton x meter

6. May 1, 2008 #5

So that's understood? I'll then just add....

E = mc[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    . .= (3.6 x 10[tex]^{9}[/tex] kg)(3 x 10[tex]^{8}[/tex] m[tex]/[/tex]s)[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    . .= (3.6 x 10[tex]^{9}[/tex] kg)(9 x 10[tex]^{16}[/tex] m[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]/[/tex]s[tex]^{2}[/tex])
    . .= 32.4 x 10[tex]^{25}[/tex] [tex]\frac{kg \cdot m^2}{s^2}[/tex]
    . .= 32.4 x 10[tex]^{25}[/tex] Joules

Simple as that?
    Yipee! :biggrin:

Are my calculations correct? exponents....

7. May 1, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, since F [N] = m*a [kg * m/s^2 ]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?