Calculate rest mass given relative speed and kinetic energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
bai_mi
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
The answer is 3.079*10^-26 kg

I tried doing E=mc^2
20*10^9*1.602*10^-19=m*(3*10^8)^2
m=3.56*10^-26 kg
However when I do E=γmc^2 I get the correct answer.

Is the question wrong, because isn't it 20 GeV of kinetic energy, not total energy?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Which of the formulas E=mc2 and E=(γ-1)mc2 represents the kinetic energy?
 
Sorry I meant that when I use E=γmc^2 (total energy formula), I get the correct answer. E=(γ-1)mc^2 (kinetic energy formula) gives the wrong answer.
The question should be 20 GeV of total energy, right?
 
When I use E = (γ-1)mc2 I get the answer that is given (3.079 x 10-26 kg). If you are not getting this, then show more details of your calculation.
 
20*10^9*1.602*10^-19= ((1/(root(1-0.5^2)))-1) m*(3*10^8)^2
m=2.30*10^-25 kg
 
bai_mi said:
20*10^9*1.602*10^-19= ((1/(root(1-0.5^2)))-1) m*(3*10^8)^2
OK

m=2.30*10^-25 kg
I don't get this value. The mistake must be in the manipulations to solve for m.
 
Yikes. MY FAULT! o:)

You are correct. E=γmc2 produces the given answer. Very Sorry. I kept forgetting to subract the 1 in (γ-1). So, yes, it appears that they took the 20 GeV to be the total energy.