Factor of safety for 25mm bolt in single shear with 60kN tension and 40kN loading

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
29 replies · 6K views
Jonathan Green
Messages
17
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A Bolt is in single shear and is tightened so that it exerts a tension force of 60kN, the diameter of the bolt is 25mm and the shear loading is 40kN; Given that the tensile stress should not exceed 350N/mm2 and the maximum shear stress should be taken as 60% of the maximum tensile stress. Determine the maximum factor of safety for the above working condition and discuss the effect of using this value in a safety critical application.

Homework Equations


I know FOS = Failure Load / Allowable Load but I am unsure how to work this out from the data.

The Attempt at a Solution


Got as far as finding out the maximum shear stress is 210N/mm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jonathan, :welcome:

I'm not an expert in this area, but I'm pretty good at physics exercises.

I suppose your 210 comes from 350 times 0.6 but how you change the dimension from N/mm2 to N/mm is a mystery to me.

And: I notice you do not make use of the given 25 mm2; do you have a reason to assume that is not essential for this exercise ?

Make a plan to come to this safety factor and post it. In general: post detailed working so we don't have to suppose anything :smile: and make wrong assumptions
 
BvU said:
Hello Jonathan, :welcome:

I'm not an expert in this area, but I'm pretty good at physics exercises.

I suppose your 210 comes from 350 times 0.6 but how you change the dimension from N/mm2 to N/mm is a mystery to me.

And: I notice you do not make use of the given 25 mm2; do you have a reason to assume that is not essential for this exercise ?

Make a plan to come to this safety factor and post it. In general: post detailed working so we don't have to suppose anything :smile: and make wrong assumptions
I am clueless. Yeah it should've been N/mm2. How do you think it should be worked out ?
 
Now all we need is that plan of yours. It doesn't help you if I do the exercise for you. My hint was meant to put you on a track:
determine which of the two has the smallest(*) safety factor, then for that one:
starting from the far end:
safety factor = max shear / actual shear
max shear = factor x max tensile
for the latter you have to invent a recipe (it's fairly straightforward)
​
(*) I must admit I do not understand the terminology 'determine the max factor of safety' in the problem statement: if it can easily stand the tension with a safety factor of 10 but not the shear with a safety factor of 0.99, then it breaks !

[edit] oh, and 'clueless' doesn't go well in the PF culture :rolleyes:
 
I appreciate this, but it helps the most if I can see it worked out fully. This is not for an assignment I am just having trouble thinking of the calculation. I have been trying at it all week.
 
What's the maximum tensile force for this bolt, given the maximum tensile stress ?
 
BvU said:
What's the maximum tensile force for this bolt, given the maximum tensile stress ?
60Kn?
 
No, 60 kN (small k, big N) is the actual tensile force. If the maximum would be 60, the safety factor would be one and that's not good at all !
 
Are you guessing or are you joking ? If 40 kN is the maximum tensile force, then it can never exert 60 kN at all !
 
Im sorry but I don't understand how to work this out. Please would you explain it to me, then I may get it.
 
OK, will try:

You are given that the max tensile stress for the material of the bolt is 350 N/mm2. So a bolt with an area of 1 mm2 gives up when the tensile force is 350 N.

So: what is the max tensile force for your exercise's bolt ?
 
So would it be 350N/mm2 dived by 22mm to equal 14N?
 
Wouldn't you think that is a bit small ? Trial and error again ?

Dimensions to the rescue:
What do you get when you divide N/mm2 by mm2 ? N/mm4

If one mm2 can pull 350 N, then 10 mm2 can pull how much ?
 
Do I hear 8800 ? Think before posting !

a) it was a 25 mm bolt, not a 22

b) 7700 = 350 N/mm2 x 22 mm gives you the wrong dimension of N/mm !
 
Yes sorry. 8800. So is 8800 the max tensile force for your exercise's bolt?
 
Aaargh... remember the first line in #17 !

-- And it's your exercise, not mine :smile:

You can NOT get Newtons if you multiply N/mm2 with mm .

Your answer in #15 was correct -- I hope you understand that. But your bolt is not 10 mm2 (its area). It is 25 mm diameter. What is the area of a bolt with a diameter of 25 mm ?
 
Do you want to continue until you guess the right answer ? If so, #20 is plain wrong and #21 is a lot better -- except for the question mark o0), that should have been an exclamation mark.

Now, do we continue this way or can you calculate the radius, area and max tensile force of a bolt with a diameter of 25 mm by yourself ?

[edit] Oops, I was too fast: #20 is only wrong because you left out the dimension (it is not 490 m2 but 490 mm2) -- the numerical value is OK.

All in good spirit, of course.:wink:
 
I don't appreciate you patronising me. I came here because I can't work this out. If your going to mock me, please don't reply.
 
490 mm2 to be precise ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU
Jonathan Green said:
I don't appreciate you patronising me. I came here because I can't work this out. If your going to mock me, please don't reply.
My apologies. I am here because I like to help, but sometimes my ironic approach takes over. 490 mm2 is the area. 1 mm2 can pull 350 N, so how much can the bolt pull (tensile force) ?
 
490 mm2 x 350 N/mm2 = 172000 N ( not mm2 )
 
Good. so the safety factor for the tension is ... ?
And the maximum shear force is ... ?
Which leads to:
The safety factor for the shtension is ... ?