Help with force vectors problem

In summary, The problem involves pulling a scale with three ropes each exerting a force of 230 N. To find the net force, we can use the equations Frx = f1x + f2x + f3x and Fry = F1y + f2y + f3y, along with the formula a^2+b^2=c^2. After resolving the forces, it is clear that the horizontal components cancel out and the vertical components add up to a net force of 460 N. However, there is a mistake in the resolving of the forces at a 30 degree angle, as the cosine function should be used instead of sine. This mistake can be easily noticed by looking at the problem and taking advantage of
Bensky
Help with force vectors problem :(

Homework Statement

The scale in Fig. P12 is being pulled on via three ropes. (The force on each rope is F = 230 N.) What net force does the scale read?
4-P10alt.gif

^Fig. P12

Homework Equations

Frx = f1x + f2x + f3x
Fry = F1y + f2y + f3y
a^2+b^2=c^2
F = ma (not needed to solve though)

The Attempt at a Solution

N = Newtons

F1x = -(cos30[tex]\circ[/tex] * 230)
F1x = -199.185 N

F1y = -(sin(30[tex]\circ[/tex] * 230)
F1y = -115 N

F2y = -sin(0[tex]\circ[/tex] * 230)
F2y = -230N

F3x = cos30[tex]\circ[/tex] * 230)
F3x = 199.185 N

F3y = -(sin30[tex]\circ[/tex] * 230)
F3y = -115 N

Frx = -199.185 + 0 + 199.185
Frx = 0

Fry = -115 + -230 + -115
Fry = -460 N
---------------------------
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
0^2 + (-460)^2 = c^2
c = 460 N
(done)

Ok, so the problem is with F2y. I think I might have screwed up since it's facing down - I was thinking about the unit circle and realized that its at a 270 degree angle, not a 0 degree angle. I have one last chance to get this problem right, so I thought I would ask here. Is the angle where I screwed up or did I mess up somewhere else? >_<

Any help is appriciated, thanks.

-Bensky

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is in your resolving of the forces. Presuming you are using a usual y=vertical coordinate system, then the y component of each of the two forces at 30 degree angles is 230cos(30). You should be able to notice this from that fact that cos(0)=1 which implies that 230cos(0)=230, which we would expect for the vertical component of a vertical vector.

Before doing this problem, you should be able to look at it and simplify the work you need to do. Since the situation is symmetrical, clearly the horizontal components of the vectors will vanish, thus we are left with 230+(the vertical part of each of the forces at an angle).

Last edited:

Hello Bensky,

It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, I believe you may have made a mistake with the angle for F2y. As you mentioned, the angle should be 270 degrees, not 0 degrees.

Also, keep in mind that when dealing with force vectors, the direction is important. In this case, since the force is acting downwards, the value for F2y should be positive, not negative.

To solve this problem, you can use the formula Fnet = √(Fx^2 + Fy^2), where Fx and Fy are the horizontal and vertical components of the force vectors respectively. Make sure to include the correct signs for each component.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

Best,

What is a force vector?

A force vector is a graphical representation of a force, which includes its magnitude and direction. It is usually represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the force.

How do I add or subtract force vectors?

To add or subtract force vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method. In the head-to-tail method, you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and the resultant vector is drawn from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. In the parallelogram method, you draw a parallelogram using the two vectors as adjacent sides and the resultant vector is drawn from the intersection of the diagonals of the parallelogram.

What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced force?

A balanced force is when all the forces acting on an object are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in no change in the object's motion. An unbalanced force is when the forces acting on an object are not equal, resulting in a change in the object's motion.

How do I calculate the net force of multiple force vectors?

To calculate the net force of multiple force vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, you need to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of each vector. Then, you can add all the horizontal components and all the vertical components separately. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the net force and use trigonometry to determine its direction.

What are some real-life examples of force vectors?

Some real-life examples of force vectors include pushing a shopping cart, kicking a ball, pulling a door open, and throwing a frisbee. In each of these examples, the force applied has both magnitude and direction, making it a force vector.