Help with Fourier series mistake

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the solution to a problem involving a function $f(x)$ with different domains. The person mentions finding the values for $a_0$ and $a_n$, but decides to check the value for $b_n$ as well. They provide their calculations for $b_n$ and question why it does not equal 0 as stated in the book. Another person then points out an error in their calculation and explains how the two parts of the integral should cancel each other out.
ognik
Hi - frustratingly I get some problems right 1st time, others just defy me (Headbang)

$f(x) = -x, [-\pi,0]; = x, [0,\pi]$

I get $a_0 = \pi$ and $a_n = \frac{-4}{\pi \left(2n-1\right)^2}$ which agrees with the book - but I thought I'd check $b_n$ for practice, it should = 0 according to the book, but I got:
$ \frac{1}{\pi} \left[ \int_{-\pi}^{0}-x Sinnx \,dx + \int_{0}^{\pi}x Sin nx \,dx \right] $
$= \frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}x Sin nx \,dx $
$ = \frac{2}{\pi}\left[ \frac{x}{n}\left(-Cosnx\right) \right]^{\pi}_0 + 0 \ne 0$?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your second step is faulty - you can't just double the integral because they can't be combined. I think you need both parts so they somehow cancel each other.

Last edited:
...and so they do, thanks

Related to Help with Fourier series mistake

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of a sum of sine and cosine functions.

2. What is a common mistake when dealing with Fourier series?

A common mistake is forgetting to include the correct coefficients or forgetting to specify the interval of periodicity for the function being represented.

3. How can I identify a mistake in a Fourier series?

If you suspect there is a mistake in a Fourier series, you can check the coefficients, make sure the series converges to the function it is representing, and verify that the series is periodic with the correct period.

4. How can I fix a mistake in a Fourier series?

If you have identified a mistake in a Fourier series, you can correct it by adjusting the coefficients or the interval of periodicity to accurately represent the function.

5. Are there any tools or resources to help with Fourier series mistakes?

Yes, there are various mathematical software and online calculators available that can assist with checking and correcting mistakes in Fourier series. Additionally, consulting with a math tutor or seeking help from online forums and communities can also be beneficial.