Is the half interval Fourier series for f(x)=x over (0,L) correct?

In summary: Note that $\int_0^L \sin \frac{2n\pi x}{L} dx=\frac L{2n\pi} \cdot 1$ for $n=0,1,2,\dots$.And the constant term of f(x)=x should be $a_0=\frac{L^2}{2}$.Thus, the correct series for f(x)=x is:$$x=\frac L2 + \frac L{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{2n-1} \sin \frac{(2n-1)\pi x}{L}$$In summary, there seems to be a mix
ognik
Please help me find my mistake - "find the Sine F/series of f(x)=x over the half-interval (0,L)"

I get $ b_n=\frac 2L \int_{0}^{L}x Sin \frac{2n\pi x}{L} \,dx $

$ = \frac 2L \left[ x(-Cos \frac{2n\pi x}{L}. \frac{L}{2n\pi x}\right] + \frac {1}{n\pi} \int_{0}^{L} Cos \frac{2n\pi x}{L} \,dx$ ... and the 2nd term evals to 0

$ = -\frac{L}{n\pi}Cos 2n \pi $ but the book gives something very different.

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Please help me find my mistake - "find the Sine F/series of f(x)=x over the half-interval (0,L)"

I get $ b_n=\frac 2L \int_{0}^{L}x Sin \frac{2n\pi x}{L} \,dx $

$ = \frac 2L \left[ x(-Cos \frac{2n\pi x}{L}. \frac{L}{2n\pi x}\right] + \frac {1}{n\pi} \int_{0}^{L} Cos \frac{2n\pi x}{L} \,dx$ ... and the 2nd term evals to 0

$ = -\frac{L}{n\pi}Cos 2n \pi $ but the book gives something very different.

Hi ognik,

The first term should be:
$$\frac 2L \left[ x(-\cos \frac{2n\pi x}{L} \cdot \frac{L}{2n\pi})\right]_0^L
=-\frac 1{n\pi} \left[ x \cos \frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right]_0^L
=-\frac 1{n\pi} [L\cdot 1 - 0\cdot 1]
= -\frac L{n\pi}
$$

Thanks ILS (I have a typo in my last line, left out the 1/L)

The book gives $x=\frac 4\pi \sum_{n-0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2n+1} Sin \frac{(2n+1)\pi x}{L} $ (I assume they mean f(x)=)

ognik said:
Thanks ILS (I have a typo in my last line, left out the 1/L)

The book gives $x=\frac 4\pi \sum_{n-0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2n+1} Sin \frac{(2n+1)\pi x}{L} $ (I assume they mean f(x)=)

Looks like there is a mix-up.
That series belongs to f(x)=1.

Related to Is the half interval Fourier series for f(x)=x over (0,L) correct?

1. What is a Half Interval Fourier Series?

A Half Interval Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function that is defined on a half-interval, typically from 0 to L. It is a special case of the Fourier series, which is used to decompose a periodic function into a sum of trigonometric functions.

2. How is a Half Interval Fourier Series different from a Fourier Series?

A Half Interval Fourier Series is different from a Fourier Series in that it is only defined on a half-interval, whereas a Fourier Series is defined on a full interval. This means that the Half Interval Fourier Series only uses half of the usual coefficients (cosine and sine coefficients) that are used in a Fourier Series.

3. What are the advantages of using a Half Interval Fourier Series?

One advantage of using a Half Interval Fourier Series is that it can simplify the calculations for certain types of functions, such as odd or even functions. It also allows for a more compact representation of the function, as only half of the coefficients need to be calculated.

4. Can any periodic function be represented by a Half Interval Fourier Series?

No, not all periodic functions can be represented by a Half Interval Fourier Series. The function must be defined on a half-interval and must be continuous and piecewise smooth. Additionally, the function must have a finite number of discontinuities and a finite number of extrema within the interval.

5. What are some applications of Half Interval Fourier Series in science?

Half Interval Fourier Series have many applications in science, particularly in the fields of signal processing, acoustics, and vibrations. They are used to analyze and model periodic signals and functions, and are also used in solving differential equations and boundary value problems.