Help with high school dynamics assignment?

In summary: It should be 8000N. In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum speed a 1000-kg car can travel without skidding off a 50-m radius level track, given a coefficient of static friction of 0.80 and a gravitational constant of 10.0 N/kg. The equations for Newton's second law in vertical y-component and radial component forms are discussed, as well as the force diagram for the car. The conversation also touches on the use of the force normal and static friction equations to calculate the maximum speed, with a clarification on decimal places leading to the correct answer of 8000N.
parabola
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I've searched for help before posting, found this thread that is asking for the same assignment by unfinished so I'll just copy and paste lol

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-lab-normal-force-please-help.585328/

A 1000-kg car moves at a maximum speed so that it does not skid off the 50-m radius level track. If the coefficient of static friction between the road and wheels is 0.80. What is the maximum speed? Assume that the gravitational constant is 10.0 N/kg =10.0 m/s. Use the simulations in 4.5 Car Circles a Track to check your answers.Write an equation for the vertical y-component form of Newton's second law. Determine the magnitude of the normal force. Then use a force law equation to determine the magnitude of the static friction force.Write an equation for the radial component form of Newton's second law. Use this to determine the maximum speed that the car can travel so that it does not skid (so that friction can provide the needed force to keep the car moving in a circle). Once you have calculated the maximum speed adjust the speed slider in the 4th simulation to this speed and see if the car stays on the track.

The person that helped said it would be 8000 newts. I get 80 000 because I multiplied f(n) i did f(static)=msfn. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Parabola (math or tool?)
I have no idea what msfn is, or anything else in that equation, if you'd be so kind as to clear up what you're trying to do, it would make it easier to help.

Thank you for responding. I did my question properly since I posted in the wrong area the first time.

Homework Statement

(the assignment link)

http://media.pearsoncmg.com/bc/aw_y...edia/CircularMotion/CarCirclesTrack/Main.html

Question 1[/B]
The 1000kg car is moving at the maximum speed it can without skidding off the 50m-radius level track. If the coefficient of static friction between the road and wheels is 0.80, what is this maximum speed? Assume that the gravitational constant is 10.0N/kg = 10.0m/s2

Question 2
Force Diagram
Construct a force diagram for the car when it has gone halfway around the track. Assume the car is moving and draw the diagram as seen from the front of the car. The center of the track is toward the right, and the sky is upward on the screen.

Question 3
Newton's Second Law (vertical y-component form)
Write an equation for the vertical y-component form of Newton's second law. Determine the magnitude of the normal force. Then use a force law equation to determine the magnitude of the static friction force.

Question 4
Newton's Second Law (radial component form)
Write an equation for the radial component form of Newton's second law. Use this to determine the maximum speed that the car can travel so that it does not skid (so that friction can provide the needed force to keep the car moving in a circle).

2. Homework Equations

f=ma
f=mvsquared/ r

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Sorry if not clear I meant I used force normal + static friction for force in the x direction. i used ms to mean the coefficient of static fric.

And my username is from both, that video still gives me the heebie jeebies and I seen it when i was like 7. lol

Likes berkeman
Not plus, times, right? ##F_N*\mu_s## ?

yes times!

So where does this 80000N come from?

Check your decimal places.

1. What is the purpose of a dynamics assignment in high school?

A dynamics assignment in high school is designed to help students understand and apply the principles of motion and forces to real-world situations. It also helps students develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. What are some common topics covered in a high school dynamics assignment?

Some common topics covered in a high school dynamics assignment include Newton's laws of motion, momentum, energy, and friction. Other topics may include circular motion, projectile motion, and simple machines.

3. How can I approach a high school dynamics assignment if I am struggling?

If you are struggling with a high school dynamics assignment, it is important to review your class notes and textbook for a better understanding of the concepts. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor to clarify any confusion or difficulty.

4. What are some tips for completing a high school dynamics assignment successfully?

To successfully complete a high school dynamics assignment, it is important to read the instructions carefully and make sure you understand the question. Show all your work and use proper units in your calculations. It is also helpful to check your answers and review any mistakes for a better understanding of the concepts.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in a high school dynamics assignment to real-life situations?

The concepts learned in a high school dynamics assignment can be applied to real-life situations such as understanding how objects move and interact with each other in the world around us. This knowledge can also be useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.