Help with interpreting lab assignment: factors affecting Friction

In summary: They plan to use a coffee mug dragged along different surfaces with varying surface materials to measure the friction. They will also use objects with identical masses and keep the velocity constant. If a spring scale is not available, they can use a spring or rubber band to measure the amount of stretch as a substitute for the force. Any feedback or ideas are appreciated.
pharm89

Homework Statement

I am responsible for coming up with an experiment to determine how the following 3 factors affect the force of friction: weight, surface area and speed.
The directions given inlcude:
"You will need to measure the magnitude of the force of friction. Since the magnitude of the force that is provided by an elastic band is directly related to the distance the elastic band is stretched, it is appropriate to substitute the distance stretched for the force."
What does this above sentence mean?

"You will need objects with identical masses, whose surface area can be easily altered (ie tissue box). Remember that regardless of what velocity you chosse, you must try to keep it as constant as possible. "

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my ideas so far:
I was thinking of using a coffee mug and dragging it along the table or the floor. By modifiying the bottom surface of the cup ie) attaching carpet, sandpaper, thin wood strips, plastic etc I would be able to find out what kinds of surfaces generate more or less friction.

When it says you need objects with identical masses, I was just going to put some coins in the mug to keep the weight constant while attaching diffferent types of frictional surfaces.
Also, they mention keeping the velocity constant, therefore how fast the object is dragged.
If I don't have access to a spring scale which would measure the frictional force that exists between the moving cup and the surface it slides on, what other tools can I use to measure this??

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pharm 89

Physics news on Phys.org
pharm89 said:

Homework Statement

I am responsible for coming up with an experiment to determine how the following 3 factors affect the force of friction: weight, surface area and speed.
The directions given inlcude:
"You will need to measure the magnitude of the force of friction. Since the magnitude of the force that is provided by an elastic band is directly related to the distance the elastic band is stretched, it is appropriate to substitute the distance stretched for the force."
What does this above sentence mean?
It means exactly what it says: since F= kx for a spring, instead of measuring F directly, just measure x- the amount the spring stretches.

"You will need objects with identical masses, whose surface area can be easily altered (ie tissue box). Remember that regardless of what velocity you chosse, you must try to keep it as constant as possible. "

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my ideas so far:
I was thinking of using a coffee mug and dragging it along the table or the floor. By modifiying the bottom surface of the cup ie) attaching carpet, sandpaper, thin wood strips, plastic etc I would be able to find out what kinds of surfaces generate more or less friction.

When it says you need objects with identical masses, I was just going to put some coins in the mug to keep the weight constant while attaching diffferent types of frictional surfaces.
Also, they mention keeping the velocity constant, therefore how fast the object is dragged.
If I don't have access to a spring scale which would measure the frictional force that exists between the moving cup and the surface it slides on, what other tools can I use to measure this??
Drag it with a spring or rubber band. Measure the amount the spring or rubber band stretches.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pharm 89[/quote]

thanks very much for your comments

Pharm89

1. What is friction and why is it important in a lab assignment?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two objects in contact. It is important in a lab assignment because it can affect the accuracy and precision of experimental results, as well as the safety of handling equipment.

2. What are the main factors that affect friction in a lab setting?

The main factors that affect friction in a lab setting include the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

3. How can the coefficient of friction be determined in a lab assignment?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by measuring the force needed to move an object across a surface and dividing it by the weight of the object.

4. What are some ways to reduce friction in a lab experiment?

Some ways to reduce friction in a lab experiment include using lubricants, minimizing the force applied, and using smoother surfaces. Additionally, ensuring proper alignment and cleaning of equipment can also help reduce friction.

5. Why is it important to consider the effects of friction in a lab assignment?

Considering the effects of friction in a lab assignment is important because it can impact the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. It is also crucial for ensuring the safety of handling equipment and preventing any potential hazards.