Friction Lab Investigation: Changing the mass

In summary, the conversation was about investigating a factor that affects friction. The experiment involved using a Newton meter to increase the force pulling a wooden block on a flat surface, and recording the force required to move the block. The question was how to measure the force of friction, to which the answer was using the Newton meter. It was clarified that the force required to overcome friction is not the same as the force of friction, but rather the force of static friction.
Gerard77

Homework Statement

We have to investigate a factor that affects friction. For my expiriment, I placed a wooden block on a flat surface, and increased the force pulling the object using a Newton meter until the block moved. I increased the mass and the force required to pull it increased.

Homework Equations

Since the block has to overcome friction, how can we measure the force of friction?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when it moves, it has overcome the force of friction and the forces are unbalanced. But how can we know the max frictive force for each mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Gerard77! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Gerard77 said:
Since the block has to overcome friction, how can we measure the force of friction?

That's exactly what the Newton meter does!

it measures the force! :smile:

So would the result I recorded for the force required to overcome friction be the magnitude of the force of friction?

We just did this lab around 3 days ago!

OT:
The force required to overcome friction is not the force of friction, it is the force of STATIC FRICTION. Which is the amount of friction needed for the object to move.

We were researching static friction, so that's great. thanks.

1. What is the purpose of a "Friction Lab Investigation"?

The purpose of a friction lab investigation is to study the effects of friction on different variables, such as mass, surface type, and force. This can help us understand the factors that affect friction and how it can be manipulated.

2. How does changing the mass affect friction?

As the mass of an object increases, so does its weight. This increased weight creates more force between the object and the surface it is moving on, resulting in higher levels of friction. Therefore, an increase in mass typically leads to an increase in friction.

3. What equipment is needed for a "Friction Lab Investigation: Changing the mass"?

Some common equipment needed for this investigation may include a ramp, a variety of objects with different masses, a force meter, and a surface to test the objects on.

4. How do you measure friction in this investigation?

Friction can be measured by calculating the force needed to overcome it. In this investigation, the force meter can be used to measure the force needed to move the object on the surface. The higher the force, the higher the friction.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this investigation?

Some potential sources of error in this investigation may include inconsistencies in the surface, variations in the applied force, and human error in recording data. It is important to take multiple measurements and calculate an average to minimize these errors.