Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Jordan's Lemma (Collorary)

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone. I'm having some troubles with Jordan's Lemma and I can't find how to fix it, because everyone in internet and in the books I read do not prove this. Now, I'm following Wunsch (Complex Variables with Applications) but it only does this part for a easy problem.

For example, if I have an improper integral like this: (page 377 & 378 from Wunsch book)
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{cos(3.x)} {(x-1)^2+1} dx[/tex]
    To solve it, I do this:
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{exp(i.3.x)} {(x-1)^2+1} dx[/tex]
    Integrating that on the upper half circle, with [tex]R \rightarrow \infty[/tex] and using the Theorem of Residues:
    [tex]\int_{-R}^{R} \frac{exp(i.3.x)} {(x-1)^2+1} dx+\int_{C_1}^{ } \frac{exp(i.3.z)} {(z-1)^2+1} dx=2.\pi.i .\sum\limits_{k}^{ } Res( \frac{exp(i.3.z)} {(z-1)^2+1}, z_k)[/tex]

Now, I have to prove in a correct and properly way why this occurs:
    [tex]\int_{C_1}^{ } \frac{exp(i.3.z)} {(z-1)^2+1} dx=0[/tex]

I'm trying to use the ML inequality, like this:
    [tex]| \int_{C_1}^{ } \frac{exp(i.3.z)} {(z-1)^2+1} dx | \leq M.L = M.\pi.R[/tex], because[tex] L=\pi.R[/tex] (it's the length of the semicircunference)
    So, (I don't understand this step)
    [tex] | \frac{exp(i.3.z)} {(z-1)^2+1} | \leq M [/tex]

Now I have to put something like:
    [tex] | \frac{exp(i.3.z)} {(z-1)^2+1} | \leq "something" [/tex]
    where I say that [tex] M = "something" [/tex]
    and [tex] "something" \rightarrow 0[/tex], so [tex]\int_{C_1}^{ } \frac{exp(i.3.z)} {(z-1)^2+1} dx=0 [/tex]

But I don't know how to do it in this case. I know I have to use, for example, [tex] z=R.exp(i.\theta) [/tex]

For example, something I got from:
    [tex]|exp(i.3.z)|[/tex]
    is this:
    [tex]|exp(i.3.z)|=|exp(-3.y)|.|exp(i.3.x)|=|exp(-3.y)|[/tex]
    but I suppose that is not helpful for this problem

Can anyone help me? Thanks!!!

Last question: ML inequality is the same as Jordan's Lemma?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is varying to make "something" -> 0?

As an aside the original integral is easily shown to exist. |integrand| < 1 for all x, while |integrand| < x^2 as |x| becomes infinite.

4. Jan 24, 2015 #3
    Jordan's Lemma is not ML inequality, it is a bit stronger. But for your integral ML inequality is enough. Namely, in the upper half plane ##|e^{i3z}|\le 1##. Therefore for ##|z|=R>1##, ##\operatorname{Im} z\ge 0## one can estimate $$\left|\frac{e^{i3z}}{(z-1)^2+1}\right| \le \frac{1}{|(z-1)^2+1|}\le \frac1{(R-1)^2}$$. Then ML estimate gives that the integral over the semicircle of radius ##R## is estimated by $$\frac{\pi R}{(R-1)^2} \to 0$$ as ##R\to\infty##.

This works for integrands of form ##e^{iaz} g(z)##, ## a> 0## such that ##\lim_{R\to\infty}RM(R) =0##, where ##M(R)## is the maximum of ##|g(z)|## on the semicircle of radius ##R##.

Jordan's lemma asserts that the integral over the semicircle tends to ##0## even if we only have ##\lim_{R\to\infty}M(R) =0## and the ML estimate does not help. You can look it up in the Wikipedia

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook