1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with linear homogeneous recurrence relations

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here's my problem - Give the order of linear homogeneous recurrence relations with constant coefficients for: An = 2na(n-1)

3. The attempt at a solution I have no idea on how to start this problem - Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, I think you mean An= 2An-1. Be careful to distinguish between "A" and "a"!

Notice that this problem does not (yet) ask you to solve the equation! It just asks that you state its order. Do you know the definition of "order" of a recurrence relation? I suspect the way to "start this problem" is to look up "order"!

4. Feb 6, 2007 #3
    =2(2An-1 + 1) + 1
    =2^2An-1 + 2 + 1

Is this right?

5. Feb 6, 2007 #4
    The order is just the number of "previous" terms, in which case the order is 2

6. Feb 6, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, in the recursion An= 2An-1, An depends on the value of A one place before it. The order is 1.

As for
    I can't tell whether it is correct or not because you haven't told me what it is supposed to equal!

Once again, is this intended to be An= 2Sn-1? If so, I cannot see where you are getting the "+1" terms from.

Suppose A0= 1. What is A1? A2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?