Writing logarithms in terms of r, s, and t with change of base

  • Thread starter Thread starter terps
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Logarithms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
terps
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let r = log9 31, s = log6 31, t = log9 6.

Write the following expressions in terms of r, s, and/or t. The change of base formula may be helpful in finding some of these logarithms.

Homework Equations



log 9 base 31


The Attempt at a Solution


I am not sure where to begin. I am confident with the different rules for logarithms such as log 5 + log 4 = log 20, but i am not sure how to switch bases. I am sure it has something to do with the equation r= log 31 base 9. All i am asking for is a little guidance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does, but i thought that you could only do that when they have common bases. what i mean is that you can only use it for example log 5/log 3 since they have the common base 10. No?
 
The change-of-base formula can be used to change the base for any log expression with a reasonable base (base > 0, base != 1).

It's not clear to me what you need to do.
terps said:
log 9 base 31
Get rid of "base" in there, and use subscripts to indicate the base.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be log31 9 or log931.

If the advanced menu bar isn't showing at the top of the input window, click Go Advanced. From the advanced menu, click the X2 button, and it will add [ sub] [ /sub] tags, but without the leading spaces I show. The subscript should go between the two tags.

Similarly, you can get superscripts for exponents, by clicking the X2 button. That button puts in [ sup] [ /sup] tags (again, without the spaces), and you enter the exponent between the two tags.
 
Thank you for all of your help. I figured it out. the answer (per change of base formula) is log99/r. i was under the impression that we could only use the variables r s and t in our answer.