Help with Mathematical Solution to a Single Leg Hanging Basket

In summary, the center of gravity must be directly underneath the lifting point in order to keep the system in a steady state.
James Hayes
TL;DR Summary
Picture a basket, connected to a hanging point (ML), from two fixings (F). One of these ropes connecting these points snaps, and the basket shifts and drops on one side. Resulting in the rope snagging onto a pivot point (P). We know the mass, the length of a couple dimensions. I want to know a method of calculating the angle theta, shown in the last diagram. Point F and G and P are all fixed in place and do not move. Please see PDF for more information.
1610704478272.png
1610704519940.png

Attachments

• Hanging Basket Problem.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 163
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello @James Hayes , :welcome: !

Is this homework or do you consider designing a balloon with basket ?

James Hayes said:
the basket shifts and drops on one side. Resulting in the rope snagging onto a pivot point (P)
And if nothing dampens the swinging ?
(I find the "Point F and G and P are all fixed in place" pretty questionable for G !)

Never mind, I suppose you silently assume the swinging terminates, at which time G should be directly underneath ML. Right ?

PFG is a triangle that keeps its shape, but rotates. How far is undeteermined since you give no sideways distances. Additionally, ##\theta## can not be calculated as long as ML to P is unknown

Hi

F, G and P are fixed. But surely the center of gravity does not need to be directly underneath the lifting point ML. The black line from ML to P to F is a rope, it does not 'fix' to P, it simply is wrapped around P. Surely, the tension in the rope pulling on fixing point 'F', around pivot point p will cause the center of gravity to shift out from being directly underneath, as this creates a force in X from point F.

thank you

James Hayes said:
But surely the center of gravity does not need to be directly underneath the lifting point ML.
If it is not, there will be a net torque due to gravity that will cause movement, no?

The system will hang such as to minimize the gravitational potential energy. This requires the C M to be directly below the support, as @berkeman man has observed.

These are really small dimensions!

Likes berkeman
Dr.D said:
These are really small dimensions!
Oh jeeze, I missed that. Especially small considering the mass... :wink:

1610746538408.png

• Haha
Likes BvU
berkeman said:
Oh jeeze, I missed that. Especially small considering the mass... :wink:

View attachment 276314
It is just very high density material!

• Haha
Likes berkeman
James Hayes said:
Hi

F, G and P are fixed. But surely the center of gravity does not need to be directly underneath the lifting point ML.
Welcome, James! :cool:

On the contrary, points ML and G must be on the same vertical line.
That vertical line should intersect the line joining P and F somewhere.
That point of intersection depends on dimensions that are not provided by the problem.
For example, x and y distances between G and F or ML and F.

It seems to me the rope from ML to P must be vertical in the steady state, otherwise there would be a sideways force on the body and it would swing. Therefore, Theta is zero, and ML, P and G are all on the same line vertically. The angle ML-P-F is determined by geometry.

1. What is a single leg hanging basket?

A single leg hanging basket is a type of plant container that is suspended from a single support, usually a hook or chain. It is designed to hold a variety of plants and flowers and can be hung indoors or outdoors.

2. How do I calculate the volume of soil needed for a single leg hanging basket?

To calculate the volume of soil needed for a single leg hanging basket, you will need to measure the diameter and depth of the basket in inches. Then, use the formula V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is approximately 3.14, r is the radius (half the diameter), and h is the depth. This will give you the volume in cubic inches, which you can convert to quarts or gallons depending on the size of your basket.

3. What type of soil is best for a single leg hanging basket?

The best type of soil for a single leg hanging basket is a lightweight potting mix that is specifically designed for containers. This type of soil will provide good drainage and aeration, which is important for the health of your plants. Avoid using regular garden soil, as it can become compacted and hinder plant growth.

4. How often should I water a single leg hanging basket?

The frequency of watering a single leg hanging basket will depend on several factors such as the type of plants, the size of the basket, and the climate. Generally, hanging baskets will need to be watered more frequently than plants in the ground, as they tend to dry out faster. It is important to check the soil moisture regularly and water when the top inch of soil feels dry.

5. Can I use fertilizer in a single leg hanging basket?

Yes, you can use fertilizer in a single leg hanging basket to provide essential nutrients for your plants. Choose a slow-release fertilizer and follow the instructions on the package for the correct amount and frequency of application. It is important not to over-fertilize, as this can damage the plants.