Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with old AP Calculus problems?

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    I have been working for over 6 hours trying to break these problems down (my first calc problems!), but I cannot get any major breakthroughs. I have made minor strides in each but have hit a wall. If any of you can offer explanations, work, anything, I would be eternally grateful!

Let h(x) = kx^2 + c
    a) Find x sub 0 in terms of k such that the tangent lines to the graph of h at (x sub 0, h(x sub 0)) and (-x sub 0, h(-x sub 0)) are perpendicular.

... I have x = 1/2k. Does that make sense? Ugh, I am so lost.

b) Find the slopes of the tangent lines mentioned in a.

c) Find the coordinates, in terms of k and c, of the point of intersection of the tangent lines mentioned in a.

#2 (couldn't even make a dent)
    The line x =c where c > 0 intersects the cubic y = 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 9 at point J and the parabola y = 4x^2 + 4x + 5 at point G.

a) If a line tangent to the cubic at point J is parallel to the line tangent to the parabola at point Q, find the value of c where c > 0.

b) Write the equations of the two tangent lines described in (a).

Let f be the function given by b(x) = (|x| - 2) / (x-2)

b) Find b '(1)

c) Find b '(-1)

d) find the range of b

... For this one I don't know how to find the derivative of an absolute value equation.

THANK YOU!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

1. try it for x^2.

3. remember that |x| is just x when x >0.,,,,

4. Oct 15, 2007 #3
    thanks for replying, mathwonk.

i gave it a shot with y = x^2 but i still can't get the next step. i'm thinking i need a little more than a shove than a push. haha. if only i was more of left-brain thinker ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?