Help with one small demonstration

In summary, the student was having trouble proving that I_0 = I_1 = \frac{\pi}{2} and was looking for a relation between xT_n(x) and \frac{1}{2}(T_{n+1}(x) + T_{n-1}(x)).
pocaracas
Now in LaTeX hope it's ok (the preview sucks):

1. Homework Statement

given the integral

[tex]I_n(r,z)= \int_z^r \frac{T_n(\frac{p}{z})T_n(\frac{p}{r})}{p \sqrt{r^2-p^2} \sqrt{p^2-z^2}} dp[/tex]

where [tex]T_n(x)[/tex] is the chebyshev polynomial of the first kind:
[tex]T_n(x) = 2 x T_{n-1}(x) - T_{n-2}(x)[/tex]
[tex]T_0(x)=1[/tex]
[tex]T_1(x)=x[/tex]

Important detail -> [tex]0 < z < r < 1[/tex]

prove that:
[tex]I_{n+1} = I_{n-1}[/tex]
and
[tex]I_0 = I_1 = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]3. The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I_0 = I_1 = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] is relatively simple. I just changed variables [tex]y= p^2[/tex] and let Mathematica do the rest.

The other proof if giving me a hard time.

Substituting the [tex]T_n(x) = 2 x T_{n-1}(x)- T_{n-2}(x)[/tex], I got:

[tex]I_{n+1}(r,z) = \int_z^r \frac{4p T_n(\frac{p}{z}) T_n(\frac{p}{r})} {\sqrt{r^2-p^2} \sqrt{p^2-z^2}} dp - [/tex]

[tex]- \int_z^r \frac{2r T_n(\frac{p}{z})T_{n-1}(\frac{p}{r})}{\sqrt{r^2-p^2} \sqrt{p^2-z^2}} dp -[/tex]

[tex]- \int_z^r\frac{2z T_{n-1}(\frac{p}{z}) T_n(\frac{p}{r})}{\sqrt{r^2-p^2} \sqrt{p^2-z^2}} dp + I_{n-1}(r,z)[/tex]

Now, the remainder integrals should be zero, but I can't figure out how to get there.
If it helps, I've found this relation:
[tex]xT_n(x) = \frac{1}{2}(T_{n+1}(x) + T_{n-1}(x))[/tex]

Any help will be very welcome!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is extremely hard to read. Could you write in Latex?

Defennnder said:
This is extremely hard to read. Could you write in Latex?
I could, but I need to know how to add latex code here.

There is a [tex]\sum[/tex] symbol in the tool bar above the reply box. Click on this and a latex reference should appear :)

I just noticed that [tex]T_n(x) = 2 x T_{n-1}(x) - T_{n-2}(x)[/tex] is just the same as
[tex]xT_n(x) = \frac{1}{2}(T_{n+1}(x) + T_{n-1}(x))[/tex]

:(

Last edited:
Pomico said:
There is a [tex]\sum[/tex] symbol in the tool bar above the reply box. Click on this and a latex reference should appear :)

thanks man!

no ideas? :(

What is a small demonstration?

A small demonstration is a brief experiment or display of a scientific concept or process that can be easily understood and observed by an audience. It is usually used to illustrate a larger concept or to engage and educate people about a specific topic.

Why are small demonstrations important?

Small demonstrations are important because they can make complex scientific concepts more accessible and engaging for people of all ages. They can also help to spark interest and curiosity in science and encourage further exploration and learning.

What are some tips for creating a successful small demonstration?

Some tips for creating a successful small demonstration include choosing a topic that is relevant and interesting to your audience, using simple and readily available materials, and making sure to clearly explain the purpose and results of the demonstration.

How can small demonstrations be used in a classroom setting?

Small demonstrations can be used in a classroom setting to supplement and reinforce lesson material, engage students in hands-on learning, and stimulate critical thinking skills. They can also be used as a fun and interactive way to introduce new concepts or review previously learned information.

Can small demonstrations be adapted for different age groups?

Yes, small demonstrations can be adapted for different age groups by adjusting the complexity of the experiment, the level of explanation, and the use of visuals and hands-on activities. It is important to consider the age and understanding of your audience when designing a small demonstration.