Help With Physics Question: Parts (d) & (e)

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in finding the required steps to determine the height due to a lack of information on the acceleration and a potential miscalculation in previous questions. The participants also consider the possibility of finding the acceleration from other given data. Additionally, they discuss the use of 9.81 as a value for acceleration in a kinematic equation and its inability to find the height of the target. One participant requests to see the calculations and asks if a negative value is obtained for the height of the target. Another participant questions if there is missing information regarding the initial vertical velocity or speed.
Har2803
Homework Statement
A bomb of mass 15.0 kg with an initial velocity of 350 m/s and horizontal velocity of 250 m/s is
projected from the edge of a cliff of a height 500 m. The kinetic energy just before it hits the target
is 500 kJ.
(a) Determine the initial kinetic energy of the bomb.
[2 Marks]
(b) Show the change of kinetic energy of the bomb.
[2 Mark]
(c) Find the value of the initial angle.
[2 Marks]
(d) Calculate the height of the target from the ground.
[4 Marks]
(e) Determine the kinetic energy and velocity at the height of 2.50 × 103 m from the
ground? [5 Marks]
Relevant Equations
v^2=u^2+2as
For parts (d) and (e) I can't figure out the required steps to get the height due to the fact that I don't have the acceleration. I may have done a miscalculation for the former questions as well. I also feel (e) requires the value of a. Hope someone can help me out. Been going at this question for 2 days now.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the movement of the bomb inside the gravitational field of earth?
Isn't the gravitational acceleration of earth, g, given by the problem?

If g is not given by the problem data, then we should be able to find it from other given data, but i am afraid the given data is not enough to find g.

Last edited:
Likes Har2803
Delta2 said:
Isn't the movement of the bomb inside the gravitational field of earth?
Isn't the gravitational acceleration of earth, g, given by the problem?

If g is not given by the problem data, then we should be able to find it from other given data, but i am afraid the given data is not enough to find g.
That is what I thought as well initially. If i use 9.81 as the value of a in a kinematic eq, I still can't find the height of the target from the ground. I just end up with a value that proves the target is not lifted off the ground at all

Likes Delta2
Hmmm you got to show us your workings, but let me ask this do you get a negative value for the height of the target?

Har2803 said:
initial velocity of 350 m/s and horizontal velocity of 250 m/s
Something missing? Should that be initial vertical velocity of 350 m/s (up or down?) or perhaps initial speed?

1. What is the difference between parts (d) and (e) in the physics question?

Part (d) of the physics question likely involves solving a problem or performing a calculation, while part (e) may require interpreting or analyzing the results of part (d).

2. Do I need to show all of my work for parts (d) and (e)?

It is always best to show your work in physics to demonstrate your understanding of the concepts and to receive full credit for your answer. However, if the question specifically states that only the final answer is required, then you do not need to show all of your work.

3. Can I use a calculator for parts (d) and (e)?

This depends on the specific question and the guidelines given by your instructor. In general, calculators can be used for calculations in physics, but it is important to double check that your calculator is set to the correct units and that you are using the appropriate equations.

4. Are there any specific formulas I should know for parts (d) and (e)?

It is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental equations and concepts in physics, as they can be applied to a variety of problems. However, the specific formulas needed for parts (d) and (e) will depend on the question and the given information.

5. How can I check if my answer for parts (d) and (e) is correct?

If the question provides an answer key, you can compare your answer to the key to check for accuracy. If an answer key is not provided, you can ask your instructor for feedback or consult with a classmate. It is also a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure they are in the correct units.