Help with physics tension in the string

In summary, the problem involves a 180 g ball on a 60-cm-long string being swung in a vertical circle. At the very bottom of the circle, a knife is inserted to cut the string. The question is how far to the right of where the string was cut does the ball hit the floor? To solve this, one must use equations for circular motion and relate the tension and gravity forces to the initial velocity in the x-direction. Using parabolic motion analysis, the final answer is 0.72m. However, there may have been errors in the calculation process.
phillip98

Homework Statement

A 180 g ball on a 60-cm-long string is swung in a vertical circle about a point 200 cm above the floor. The tension in the string when the ball is at the very bottom of the circle is 5.6 N. At the very bottom of the circle, a very sharp knife is suddenly inserted, as shown in the figure View Figure , to cut the string directly below the point of support.

Homework Equations

V=sqrt(a R)
a=(F-W)/m = (F - mg)/m=F/m -g

The Attempt at a Solution

R=.6m

For a free fall
t=sqrt(2h/g)
S=Vt=
S=sqrt(a R) sqrt(2h/g)
S=sqrt(a R 2h/g)
S=sqrt(2[F/m -g] R h /g)
S=sqrt(2 [ 5.6N/ .180 - 9.81] 0.6 x 0.200 /9.81)
S=0.72m

I keep getting this answer. I'm unsure of what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you solving for? There's no question.

I can only guess, but is the question "how far does the ball travel before it hits the floor"? If so you haven't used the tension correctly to compute the initial velocity of the ball. You need to use an equation for circular motion like a=v^2/r and relate that to the tension.

sorry lol

How far to the right of where the string was cut does the ball hit the floor?

Hi Dick, I've tried it that way. I keep getting 2.3. Which seems to be wrong as well.

Free body diagram, you have a force of tension and a force due to gravity. You can relate this to the velocity, and this velocity will be in the x-direction. From there, use parabolic motion analysis.

Show Snazzy how you got the initial x velocity using v^2/r and a free body diagram. Because it's the right thing to do. Don't wait for me, I'm going zzzzzzzz.

What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string is the force that is applied to the string, pulling it taut. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is typically caused by the weight of an object or the force applied to one end of the string.

How is tension calculated in a string?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * sinθ, where T is tension, F is the force applied to the string, and θ is the angle between the string and the direction of the force.

How does tension affect the motion of an object?

Tension in a string can affect the motion of an object by providing the necessary force to keep it in motion, or by acting as a counterforce to the motion of an object. In simple terms, tension helps to keep an object moving in a specific direction.

How can you increase tension in a string?

Tension in a string can be increased by applying a greater force to one end of the string, decreasing the angle between the string and the force, or by using a stiffer and stronger string.

How does tension in a string change with length?

Tension in a string is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the string increases, so does the tension. This is because a longer string requires more force to keep it taut compared to a shorter string.