Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Poisson Brackets (original paper)

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    Here I have a translation from French to English of the original paper by Poisson about his brackets. I cannot understand why the function a=f(q,u,t) doesn't have a second order derivative (in q or u). The problem is on the top of the third page (second .JPG) after he took the time derivative. Can somebody help me?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2
    Also, a=f(q,u,t) is a constant of motion. Is there any restriction about second order derivatives for q or u or (p) for a constant of motion?

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Here is a quotation that I found on Wolfram website:

"A first integral associated with the independent variable t exist if f is independent of t and does not contain any second or higher derivatives of the coordinates."

Since we have a=f(q,u,t) as a firt integral, it will not have a second derivative of any canonical variables.

What I can't understand and ;also, I didn't find anywhere is why a first integral of the motion can't have a second order derivative.

Does anybody know?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?