Help with PSpice/OrCAD Voltage Dependent Sources

In summary: Vy looks ok. In summary, the individual is having trouble recreating a problem from a book using pspice due to mismatched results and is also asking for help representing a voltage with exponential decay. They have provided a problem and their attempt at solving it, and are wondering if their calculated values are correct.
JerrySinField
1. Right now I am trying to recreate a problem from the book with pspice however, the math I have performed on the problem is not the same as what pspice is telling me.
2. Also how do I represent a voltage that has exponential decay with time (such as 5e^(-t))
3.here is the problem(finding Vy and Vx) http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/Insanity_is_me/PSPICE/1B.jpg

and here is my attempt http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/Insanity_is_me/PSPICE/attempt1b.jpg

ANY help would be greatly appreciated...by my math the voltages should be Vx=8v and Vy=10v

correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JerrySinField said:
1. Right now I am trying to recreate a problem from the book with pspice however, the math I have performed on the problem is not the same as what pspice is telling me.

2. Also how do I represent a voltage that has exponential decay with time (such as 5e^(-t))

3.here is the problem(finding Vy and Vx) http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/Insanity_is_me/PSPICE/1B.jpg

and here is my attempt http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/Insanity_is_me/PSPICE/attempt1b.jpg

ANY help would be greatly appreciated...by my math the voltages should be Vx=8v and Vy=10v

correct?

Looks like the polarity of the Vx sensing is backwards in your PSpice schematic?

1. How do I add a voltage dependent source in PSpice/OrCAD?

To add a voltage dependent source in PSpice/OrCAD, first open the schematic editor. Then, click on the "Place Part" button and select "Source" from the drop-down menu. Next, select the type of voltage dependent source you want to add, such as a VCVS or VCCS. Finally, place the source on your schematic and specify the necessary parameters in the properties window.

2. What is the difference between a VCVS and a VCCS?

A VCVS (Voltage-Controlled Voltage Source) is a type of voltage dependent source where the output voltage is directly proportional to the input voltage. On the other hand, a VCCS (Voltage-Controlled Current Source) is a type of voltage dependent source where the output current is directly proportional to the input voltage. This means that the output of a VCVS depends on the input voltage, while the output of a VCCS depends on the input current.

3. How do I specify the gain of a voltage dependent source?

The gain of a voltage dependent source can be specified by using the parameters in the properties window. For a VCVS, the gain is typically denoted as "A" and for a VCCS, it is denoted as "G". The value of the gain will determine the relationship between the input and output of the source.

4. Can I use a voltage dependent source in a transient analysis?

Yes, voltage dependent sources can be used in a transient analysis. However, it is important to ensure that the source is properly defined and has appropriate initial conditions in order to obtain accurate results. It is also recommended to use a small time step for the simulation to capture any changes in the source more accurately.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with a voltage dependent source in my circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with a voltage dependent source in your circuit, you can try checking the values of the source's parameters and making sure they are correct. You can also try running a DC sweep simulation to see if the source is functioning as expected. If the issue persists, you may need to consult the PSpice/OrCAD documentation or seek help from online forums or support teams.