1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with question interpretation

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give an example of a function f for which the following assertion is false:

If [tex]|f(x)-l|<\epsilon[/tex] when [tex]0<|x-a|<\delta[/tex], then [tex] |f(x)-l|<\epsilon/2[/tex], when [tex] 0<|x-a|<\delta/2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really not quite sure what I am looking for here. I think i want a function for which [tex]\delta[/tex] gets smaller much more quickly than epsilon does, any input as to what I am actually looking for would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the problem only asks for "an example", I would go for the simplest. And it looks like a linear function, f(x)= mx+ b, should work. Draw an arbitrary straight line on an xy coordinate system, draw a rectangle at a point on that line, so the line is its diagonal, with [itex]\delta[/itex] as the length of the horizontal side and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] as the length of the vertical side. Now, imagine making [itex]\epsilon[/itex] smaller. How does [itex]\delta[/itex] change? What does the slope have to be so that [itex]\delta[/itex] decreases faster than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]?

4. Apr 23, 2008 #3
    If i let b =1, and if m < 1, then [tex]\delta[/tex] gets smaller more quickly than [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Is f(x) = 0.25x + 1 a suitable answer to this question?

5. Apr 23, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I may have answered too quickly and lead you astray. Yes, if m< 1, [itex]\delta[/itex] gets smaller more quickly than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]- but [itex]\delta[/itex] will reach half its original size exactly when [itex]\epsilon[/itex] reaches half its original size- so linear equations will not work here. Okay, then, what about y= x2? Take (0,0) as your initial point and [itex]\epsilon= 1[/itex]. What does [itex]\delta[/itex] have to be? Now take [itex]\epsilon= 1/2[/itex]. What does [itex]\delta[/itex] have to be.

6. Apr 23, 2008 #5
    [tex]\delta[/tex] has to be sqrt(2), which is still greater than [tex]\delta/2[/tex]. Further investigation revealed that this seemed to be the case for x^3 etc too. I tried it with 1/(x^2), as a=1, l=1, that seemed to work quite nicely. Is this a useful candidate?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?