1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with question on forces with motion, tension, friction

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=workshownph1.jpg

2. Relevant equations

The equations and the problem, along with the attempt at a solution are shown in the picture above

3. The attempt at a solution

The attempt is in the picture as well. Thanks guys for looking at it and helping out in advance. I have no idea with these sorts of problems where to start or what im doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.
    What are you given for the coefficient of friction?

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks, its good to be here. Unfortunately all i am given is what is shown in the picture. I just assumed there was friction since it didn't say there wasn't.... thats why its in my equations.

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Your equations are inaccurate. The tension must allow for the weight of both box and sled as the sinθ from the incline.

There should be a μ*m*g*cosθ between the box and the sled. When acceleration of the combined system exceeds that then it will slip. But not knowing that μ ... if it was frictionless on the sled it would slide with any tension on the rope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?