Help with seemingly easy problem on energy and momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the appropriate height difference magnitude for evaluating the change in potential energy of a pendulum bob-earth system. The correct answer is found by subtracting 5 cm from A, and the distance traveled by a point particle is found to be 80 cm. The work done by friction on the box is calculated to be negative 0.128 joules due to the opposite direction of the work done by the ball. There may be some confusion regarding the use of B in the problem, but it is not used in the calculations. It is suggested to check with a professor about any potential errors on the online site.
kinza
http://www.webassign.net/userimages/barrett.3@osu/prelab-131-07A.gif

If A = 34 cm and the pendulum bob diameter is 2.4 cm, what is the appropriate height difference magnitude to use for evaluating the change in potential energy of the pendulum bob-earth system? I got 29 cm by subtracting 5 cm from A. It was correct.

Suppose B = 22 cm. The distance traveled by the box, modeled as a point particle, is: I got 80 cm, logical, it was correct.

Suppose the friction force between the table and the box is 0.16 N and B = 22 cm. What is the work done by friction on the box?

The last part I have no idea what to do. I thought I could just multiply the friction force by the distance and I would get the distance traveled but that didn't work. Mass isn't given in the problem so what do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kinza said:
Suppose the friction force between the table and the box is 0.16 N and B = 22 cm. What is the work done by friction on the box?

The last part I have no idea what to do. I thought I could just multiply the friction force by the distance and I would get the distance traveled
Not distance, work. Multiply the force acting along the path traveled by the distance traveled along the path and you get the work done. (I guess that was just a typo in your post?)

It might help for you to post your calculations on that last part, along with the correct answer.

I don't know the correct answer until I have it since it's an online activity.

Regardless, so I should multiply the 0.16 N by 0.8 m? This is what I tried earlier and it was not correct. Do you think the ball's acceleration has something to do with the acceleration of the box? In the problem though, no masses or velocities are given, so that concept becomes even more confusing.

I agree with diazona.

However, as an alternative method, you could try a conservation of energy method assuming all the energy is converted to the block when the pendulum hits it.

In this case the work done by friction would just be the potential energy of the pendulum.

PS. You might also want to check the units the online site wants you to give the answer in.

Last edited:
How would I take the mass into account when calculating the potential energy?

kinza said:
I don't know the correct answer until I have it since it's an online activity.

Regardless, so I should multiply the 0.16 N by 0.8 m? This is what I tried earlier and it was not correct.
If that's really the case, the online site is apparently wrong - the work done by friction on the box is just the force (0.16 N) times the distance traveled (0.8 m). Although Coto has a good suggestion to check the units.

I suppose you know that potential energy is given by U = mgh . . . (under the approximation of constant gravitational acceleration)

That's exactly what I thought it would be but I guess the site is wrong. Is there a reason the distance traveled is 80 cm and B is 22 cm. Why is it even given?

I'm not sure, honestly... B doesn't seem to be used for anything. Maybe it's just there to distract you.

Hm...guess I'll leave it blank. Thanks for your help!

No problem :smile:

I'd suggest checking with someone in charge (e.g. a professor) about that problem, just to make sure there isn't some little subtlety we missed. And you may get the chance to point out a bug in the website that should be fixed for future students ;-)

Work = cos (Angle) * D * F = -1 * .16N * .8M = -.128 ... you just forgot the negative sign infront, the work is opposite to the work done by the ball thus it is negative and that's where the cos (180) or the - sign comes from.

1. What is energy and momentum?

Energy is the ability of an object to do work, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion. In simple terms, energy is the capacity to cause change, while momentum is the quantity of motion an object has.

2. Why is it important to understand energy and momentum?

Understanding energy and momentum is crucial in many areas of science and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion, the transfer of energy between objects, and the conservation of energy and momentum in various systems.

3. How are energy and momentum related?

Energy and momentum are related through the principle of conservation of energy and momentum. This means that in any interaction or system, the total energy and momentum remain constant. For example, when an object gains momentum, it also gains energy, and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state. For example, a moving car has kinetic energy, while a book on a shelf has potential energy.

5. How can energy and momentum be calculated?

The equations for calculating energy and momentum depend on the specific situation and variables involved. For example, the equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. It is important to carefully consider the variables and units when using these equations.